Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enter the US on WVP and stay on F1 Visa

Hi everyone,

I am a French citizen and have not found any answer to my question so far on the Internet. Here is my situation :

I am currently applying to study at Ohio State University next year through a partnership between my school and this university. If everything goes well I should have my F1 visa in a few months from now and start my school year around middle of August over there. In case I get picked for this partnership, I would be on holidays between end of May and middle of August. I would like to use this free time to go visit my girlfriend whom lives in Texas. And to avoid buying two round-trip tickets I am thinking of planning things this way :

- Fly to Texas around beginning of July and spend about a month with my girlfriend.
    - Fly from Texas to Columbus to attend Ohio State University.

Is that possible ? I mean, entering the US thanks to the VWP and then stay in the US on my F1 visa, or do I have to leave the US before reentering on the F1 visa ? I think the latter is what I'll have to do but I still wanted to ask my question on this forum.

I'm looking forward to your replies,

Florian

Hi, I have bad and good news for you.

The bad: If you enter with the VWP it will not be possible for you to change your status to F1 later. Also I am
    not pretty sure whether you are allowed to ask for a travel authorization through ESTA while holding a visa.

The good: Under F1 visa you are allowed to arrive the US up to 30 days before the start of your program so you can spend that time with your girlfriend in Texas and then go to Ohio, you don't need to use the VWP. Tourism activities are also allowed under that type of visa so when arrive you can tell the Border Patrol officer that you plan to stay some days in Texas before going to Ohio.

Hope this can help you!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X