Marry Philippine national in USA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marry Philippine national in USA.

I have a Philippine girlfriend that's already married in the Philippines (Philippines don't recognize divorce). A fiancee will likely be denied in the Philippines (due to current marriage). So, we have one option left - the wavier program.

If she enters the US (With no intention of marriage - of course!), Files for a divorce that is not recognized in the Philippines then marries me can she change her status?

Technically she would not be married in the US, and married to me. Even though the Philippines won't honor the divorce (she just won't be able to return).

Any suggestions? She really wants to marry but cannot divorce.

Thanks,
    M

Please see my response in CAPS after each question below:

Originally posted by mf2015 View Post
    I have a Philippine girlfriend that's already married in the Philippines (Philippines don't recognize divorce). A fiancee will likely be denied in the Philippines (due to current marriage). So, we have one option left - the wavier program.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 'WAIVER' PROGRAM FOR FILIPINOS. CAN YOU ELABORATE ON WHAT YOU MEAN BY 'WAIVER?'

If she enters the US (With no intention of marriage - of course!), Files for a divorce that is not recognized in the Philippines then marries me can she change her status?

IF YOUR GAL DIVORCES HER FILIPINO HUSBAND WHILE SHE IS IN THE U.S., SHE IS THEN LEGALLY ELIGIBLE TO MARRY AND CONVERT HER STATUS I THE U.S.

Technically she would not be married in the US, and married to me. Even though the Philippines won't honor the divorce (she just won't be able to return).

NONSENSE. OF COURSE SHE CAN RETURN TO THE PHILIPPINES. BUT SHE CANNOT CHANGE HER PASSPORT NAME BECAUSE HER U.S. DIVORCE AND SUBSEQUENT MARRIAGE WON'T BE RECOGNIZED BY THE PHILIPPINES CONSULATE OR IN THE PHILIPPINES.

Any suggestions? She really wants to marry but cannot divorce.

YOU HAVE TWO CHOICES: SHE GETS AN ANNULMENT IN THE PHILIPPINES, OR COMES TO THE U.S. AND DIVORCES, THEN MARRIES YOU.

Thanks,
    M

Comment

Hello,

I am a Filipino and am married to a US citizen.

First things first, the US Embassy in the Philippines has not yet approved VWP for Philippine passport holders. The only option for your girlfriend to come here in USA is if she applied for a tourist visa and get approved for it.

Second, if she wants to be separated from her husband back in the Philippines, she'll have to get an annulment. And if she does marry you in USA, she will have two marriages from two different countries. You cannot file a divorce or an annulment in USA for a marriage that took place in the Philippines or in another country.

She can go back to the Philippines, but she will have a lot of issues.

Comment

Kristine,

I apologize for correcting you, but of course the young lady can divorce her Filipino husband while she is in the U.S. Hundreds of Filipinos go to Reno and Vegas every year and divorce their PI-based spouses, then remarry in the USA. Of course the marriage is not going to be recognized in the Philippines, but that doesn't seem to matter much, anymore.

VWP is not likely be be approved by the State Department for Filipinos anytime soon.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Kristine Lee View Post
        Hello,

First things first, the US Embassy in the Philippines has not yet approved VWP for Philippine passport holders. The only option for your girlfriend to come here in USA is if she applied for a tourist visa and get approved for it.

Second, if she wants to be separated from her husband back in the Philippines, she'll have to get an annulment. And if she does marry you in USA, she will have two marriages from two different countries. You cannot file a divorce or an annulment in USA for a marriage that took place in the Philippines or in another country.

- - - Updated - - -

Kristine,

I apologize for correcting you, but of course the young lady can divorce her Filipino husband while she is in the U.S. Hundreds of Filipinos go to Reno and Vegas every year and divorce their PI-based spouses, then remarry in the USA. Of course the divorce and new marriage are not going to be recognized in the Philippines, but that doesn't seem to matter much, anymore.

VWP is not likely be be approved by the State Department for Filipinos anytime soon.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Kristine Lee View Post
        Hello,

Comment

need help

does anyone here know what are the detailed requirements for a K-1 visa? need help and advice pls. thanks

Comment

K1 requirements

Jane,

1. Proof of meeting in person within two years
            2. The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen
            3. Submit form I-129F, G-325A form for each
            4. $535 submittal fee.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Jane02 View Post
            does anyone here know what are the detailed requirements for a K-1 visa? need help and advice pls. thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X