US born kid in India holding PIO card - his eligibility in sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US born kid in India holding PIO card - his eligibility in sports

Someone pls help me with your experience.
    My son is born in USA, holding USA passport. Got him back to India in 2002 when he was 1.5yr old. Now he is 14 and a good footballer. He got selected for Karnataka state team recently. However, issue came up when he was in Goa for coca cola championship saying he neither has a birth certificate from India nor has a Indian passport. So considered a foreigner. Now we are also told that he cannot be part of state team also. Big blow....as we were aware PIO card gives him all rights of financial, economical and educational rights. Sports is also part of our education I believe. We were doubtful of he representing India in International tournaments, but never expected such roadblock in this stage at the state/national level.
    Does anyone know more about our rights? If this is true, all those who hold PIO/OCI card must be careful in making a decision as any child who has got some special talent will be deprived off his dreams here and his/her future is in dark.

Please share similar experience or your suggestions

It is really sad. Even we had found this out recently. The foot ball coach Constantin

It is really sad. Even we had found this out recently. The foot ball coach Stephen Constantine raised this issues publicly in Jun 2015 it seems.

Indian football coach Stephen Constantine today said he has identified a few persons of Indian origin (PIO), who would “add great value” to the beleaguered national team

Hope it gets resolved soon. I cannot understand why these kids cannot represent the nation even if they live and study permanently in India. It is totally unfair to the children.

Originally posted by pgundmi View Post
    My son is born in USA, holding USA passport. Got him back to India in 2002 when he was 1.5yr old. Now he is 14 and a good footballer. He got selected for Karnataka state team recently. However, issue came up when he was in Goa for coca cola championship saying he neither has a birth certificate from India nor has a Indian passport. So considered a foreigner. Now we are also told that he cannot be part of state team also. Big blow....as we were aware PIO card gives him all rights of financial, economical and educational rights. Sports is also part of our education I believe. We were doubtful of he representing India in International tournaments, but never expected such roadblock in this stage at the state/national level.
    Does anyone know more about our rights? If this is true, all those who hold PIO/OCI card must be careful in making a decision as any child who has got some special talent will be deprived off his dreams here and his/her future is in dark.

Comment

Originally posted by pgundmi View Post

A PIO/OCI card only provides a residuary parity with nationals for the purposes of entitlements and treatment. There is nothing to prevent specific organisations and associations from prescribing higher standards or excluding non-nationals as they see fit.

I think it's a fair decision on the part of the GOI to bar non-nationals from representing national / int'l sports teams. It seems to present an inherent conflict of interest and should not come across as a surprise.

NRIs who renounce citizenship or decide to confer foreign citizenship on their kids should simply compete in sports of their country of adoption instead of making a fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Sood View Post
        A PIO/OCI card only provides a residuary parity with nationals for the purposes of entitlements and treatment. There is nothing to prevent specific organisations and associations from prescribing higher standards or excluding non-nationals as they see fit.

I think it's a fair decision on the part of the GOI to bar non-nationals from representing national / int'l sports teams. It seems to present an inherent conflict of interest and should not come across as a surprise.

NRIs who renounce citizenship or decide to confer foreign citizenship on their kids should simply compete in sports of their country of adoption instead of making a fuss.

i disagree.. to me PIO/OCI members who are resident of India should be allowed at the state and national level but they should not be allowed to represent in international competitions. This is on par with rules that a lot of other countries have.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X