Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding getting married on visa waiver program

Hello,

I never realized the extent and complication this whole processed involved. But I know there's alot of highly knowledgeable people on this board and would be extremely appreciative of any pointers.

I'm a US Citizen and met my gf in Japan when I was there for a couple of years. Recently things have become more serious and we've talked about marriage and moving to the next stage in our life.

She's visited me once in the States and I've visited her once after I came back to the U.S.

We didn't really think so far ahead into the future about marriage but the more we talked and things came about, the more we realized we wanted to get married to each other.

In doing my research (albeit beginners level research), I know the typical process is getting married and then applying for Spouse's visa. But our whole marriage idea came up abruptly and thinking of the long process (6-12 months?) it put a huge damper on our mood. Seeing as how we've been apart for so long already, the thought of another possible year is extremely hard to swallow.

She's coming to visit me and there were 2 options I was thinking of and wondering what the ramifications for either are:

1) I'm aware of the Adjustment of Status route. I know this is risky and immigration is trying to find people who had the intention of coming to the US on a Visa Waiver program to get married. But how risky is this? We're still trying to sort things out and while we did talk of marriage, nothing has been set in stone. How would they prove that our intention was to get married on the travel waiver program?

2) If we decided to go towards the right way, would we still be able to get married in the U.S. with the condition that she'll go back before the 3 months are up? And during that time until the Spouse Visa comes out, would she still be able to travel back and forth to the U.S. for up to 3 months at a time?

My apologies for the extremely long post but, this has been really eating up my mind lately. I've already spoke with 2 immigration lawyers. One just told me to not worry and just get married here and do the Adjustment of Status after 2 months. The other lawyer told me to go through the traditional route.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Either way will work.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Freemind81 View Post
    Hello,

I never realized the extent and complication this whole processed involved. But I know there's alot of highly knowledgeable people on this board and would be extremely appreciative of any pointers.

I'm a US Citizen and met my gf in Japan when I was there for a couple of years. Recently things have become more serious and we've talked about marriage and moving to the next stage in our life.

She's visited me once in the States and I've visited her once after I came back to the U.S.

We didn't really think so far ahead into the future about marriage but the more we talked and things came about, the more we realized we wanted to get married to each other.

In doing my research (albeit beginners level research), I know the typical process is getting married and then applying for Spouse's visa. But our whole marriage idea came up abruptly and thinking of the long process (6-12 months?) it put a huge damper on our mood. Seeing as how we've been apart for so long already, the thought of another possible year is extremely hard to swallow.

She's coming to visit me and there were 2 options I was thinking of and wondering what the ramifications for either are:

1) I'm aware of the Adjustment of Status route. I know this is risky and immigration is trying to find people who had the intention of coming to the US on a Visa Waiver program to get married. But how risky is this? We're still trying to sort things out and while we did talk of marriage, nothing has been set in stone. How would they prove that our intention was to get married on the travel waiver program?

2) If we decided to go towards the right way, would we still be able to get married in the U.S. with the condition that she'll go back before the 3 months are up? And during that time until the Spouse Visa comes out, would she still be able to travel back and forth to the U.S. for up to 3 months at a time?

My apologies for the extremely long post but, this has been really eating up my mind lately. I've already spoke with 2 immigration lawyers. One just told me to not worry and just get married here and do the Adjustment of Status after 2 months. The other lawyer told me to go through the traditional route.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Comment

They don't prove anything, it's your duty to prove that you didn't have the intention of getting married and immigrate while entering. If you fail to convince them, then it will be proved as you are lying.

Collect all the evidences carefully, which supports your voice.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X