Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curricular Practical Training DURING the first year of graduate school in US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curricular Practical Training DURING the first year of graduate school in US?

Hi all,

My husband is currently holding an F1 visa while studying his first year of MBA. Let's say that he is always a bit "overactive" when it comes to internship opportunities. Barely 6 months into his studies, he already got an offer for a part-time internship starting in April 2015. He really cherished this opportunity, but now I am scrambling to find the fastest way for him (LITERALLY) to get started on his internship.

I am currently a US citizen, and we got married in August last year. I was not prepared to see him getting the internship THIS early, hence our application for his change of status was not mailed until much recently (Packaged received on 2/03/2015). Based on reading all the comments and threads regarding EAD's issuing speed, I am almost, quite 100%, sure that his EAD will not arrive in time for April start date, assuming USCIS will be satisfied for all the documentations sent for review.

Currently the only option I see "viable" now is to ask his school's international student office to approve this internship as a Curricular Practical Training (CPT), just to double-seal the deal. The big "BUT" here is that it is his first year on F1, and it is not even completed for a full academic year yet! CPT needs at least a FULL academic year of good standing on F1 based on reading all the requirements from most of the universities' international offices.

I just want to ask if

1) Anyone with F1 was successful on getting a CPT approved within the first year of their F1 status?
    2) If you did it, could you share a little bit of the experience?
    3) From here: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/practical-training It seems like "designated school official (DSO) may authorize CPT during your first semester if your program requires this type of experience." Does that mean we can really try to pitch for the win here?

Thanks a lot, and I look forward to any respond on this!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X