Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W2 mismatch

Originally posted by rayb View Post
    NVC does not audit W2's or transcripts for correct reporting of marital status.

Your single status reported on W2's does not affect your income tax liabiity nor your immigration review.

--Ray B
    Hi Ray,

Which status do you suggest that I file the tax returns under -> Single or Married but filing separately? I am still waiting for NVC case number. My husband is working in Dubai and he has never been to the US. Please suggest.

Thanks,
    Sibiya

Comment

For now, Single is the easiest to file. You can also file as "married/joint" now if you apply for an ITIN with your tax return for your husband.

You can later amend to "married, joint" after your husband ins in the U.S. and has an SSN.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Sibiya24 View Post
      Hi Ray,

Which status do you suggest that I file the tax returns under -> Single or Married but filing separately? I am still waiting for NVC case number. My husband is working in Dubai and he has never been to the US. Please suggest.

Thanks,
      Sibiya

Comment

For now, Single is the easiest to file. You can also file as "married/joint" now if you apply for an ITIN with your tax return for your husband.

You can later amend to "married, joint" after your husband ins in the U.S. and has an SSN.

--Ray B
        Hey Ray,

I read on the IRS website that if i am married i have to be under Married-jointly or married-separately. So if i am filing as married-separately i can give my spouse's name and in the SSN column give NRA(non resident alien). do you think it would work? I have read too that since i am married I am not allowed to check Single under the filing status. Its all so confusing. I wouldn't have worried about all this but for the immigration process that is going on for my husband and 2015 would be the recent year for which i have to produce my tax papers.

thanks alot for all your advise!!!

- Sibiya

Comment

'NRA' will not be accepted if efiling.

--Ray B

Hey Ray,

I read on the IRS website that if i am married i have to be under Married-jointly or married-separately. So if i am filing as married-separately i can give my spouse's name and in the SSN column give NRA(non resident alien). do you think it would work? I have read too that since i am married I am not allowed to check Single under the filing status. Its all so confusing. I wouldn't have worried about all this but for the immigration process that is going on for my husband and 2015 would be the recent year for which i have to produce my tax papers.

thanks alot for all your advise!!!

- Sibiya

Comment

'NRA' will not be accepted if efiling.

--Ray B
            Oh no!! So Single is the best i can do? I am really nervous when the transcripts to NVC and they validate it.

- Sibiya

Comment

USCIS is not interested in whether your filing status on the tax return is "single" or "married." They're not income tax auditors and only want proof that you make enough bucks to meet the sponsorship requirements. But for later procedures in the U.S. (Removal of Conditions, Naturalization), not filing together is a red flag for possible marriage fraud.

--Ray B

Oh no!! So Single is the best i can do? I am really nervous when the transcripts to NVC and they validate it.

- Sibiya

Comment

USCIS is not interested in whether your filing status on the tax return is "single" or "married." They're not income tax auditors and only want proof that you make enough bucks to meet the sponsorship requirements. But for later procedures in the U.S. (Removal of Conditions, Naturalization), not filing together is a red flag for possible marriage fraud.

--Ray B
                ok so i file as Single now. it will be the end of this year that my husband can come here hopefully. so when i do tax for 2016 i can do it married/jointly and then it would be fine for all the rest of the stuff that comes up. Am i right?

Thanks alot again!!!

- Sibiya

Comment

You can also amend your 2015 return to married once your hubby is here and has an SSN.

--Ray B

ok so i file as Single now. it will be the end of this year that my husband can come here hopefully. so when i do tax for 2016 i can do it married/jointly and then it would be fine for all the rest of the stuff that comes up. Am i right?

Thanks alot again!!!

- Sibiya

Comment

You can also amend your 2015 return to married once your hubby is here and has an SSN.

--Ray B
                    Last question (i hope):
                    I read on the IRS website that it is illegal to file as Single if I am married as of Dec 31 2015.
                    Would this be an issue for me with the law and also at NVC (I cannot handle an RFE because of this, i already had an RFE for my I130)?
                    I am sorry, i don't want to confuse other people on this forum but I think I read a little too much.

- Sibiya

Comment

Sibiya,

I think it unlikely that an IRS citation stated that filing single if married is "illegal." More likely, the citation said one should file as "married" if married.

--Ray B

Last question (i hope):
                      I read on the IRS website that it is illegal to file as Single if I am married as of Dec 31 2015.
                      Would this be an issue for me with the law and also at NVC (I cannot handle an RFE because of this, i already had an RFE for my I130)?
                      I am sorry, i don't want to confuse other people on this forum but I think I read a little too much.

- Sibiya

Comment

Sibiya,

I think it unlikely that an IRS citation stated that filing single if married is "illegal." More likely, the citation said one should file as "married" if married.

--Ray B
                        Thank you Ray for all the answers. I have decided that I will file as single now and amend it to married/jointly when my husband gets here. Still waiting for my NVC case number.

- Sibiya

Comment

Thank you Ray for all the answers. I have decided that I will file as single now and amend it to married/jointly when my husband gets here. Still waiting for my NVC case number.

- Sibiya
                          Hello Ray,

I got my NVC case number yesterday and i have started the process. i will probably have to start on my AOS form next week or something and send out my documents. I won't have my IRS transcripts by then, so is it ok to send my W2, paystubs and employment letter now and then send IRS transcripts to my husband at the time of the interview so that he can take it? Is it ok if i write a note and let them know this is the case and they would be able to review my IRS transcripts when i get it in hand or something in that line?

Thanks,
                          Sibiya

Comment

Submitting sponsorship documents with an "IOU" note for later transcripts is not how it works. If you submit an incomplete package now, you will simply get an evidence request within a few weeks of your submittal.

--Ray B

Hello Ray,

I got my NVC case number yesterday and i have started the process. i will probably have to start on my AOS form next week or something and send out my documents. I won't have my IRS transcripts by then, so is it ok to send my W2, paystubs and employment letter now and then send IRS transcripts to my husband at the time of the interview so that he can take it? Is it ok if i write a note and let them know this is the case and they would be able to review my IRS transcripts when i get it in hand or something in that line?

Thanks,
                            Sibiya

Comment

AOS fees paid. what to do now?

Submitting sponsorship documents with an "IOU" note for later transcripts is not how it works. If you submit an incomplete package now, you will simply get an evidence request within a few weeks of your submittal.

--Ray B
                              I have paid the AOS fees and completed DS-261. The AOS fee status has changed to PAID. the IV fees and DS-260 is not available yet. I have already got the Document cover sheet with bar code with my NVC welcome letter. Should i wait till i pay the IV fees and submit DS-260 to send the I-864ez and the required documents or can I do it now before the IV fees is paid?

Thanks,
                              Sibiya

Comment

help me

Hello
                                Have a good day!

The late was because of the difficult circumstances of the war in Syria
                                Now , I’m in turkey cause hard war too…
                                The situation very bad in Syria
                                If I want to make new immigrant inquiry , what I must do ?!!
                                Please if u can help me , tell me the right steps to make new right documents
                                I visit the web. But I lost….. I can’t know what I must do step by step
                                Hope u can help me

Waiting your kind reply

Dear Sir/Madam:

The National Visa Center (NVC) received your inquiry regarding the immigrant visa petition: DMS2005836010 filed by ZAKIEH HASSAN AL BAK on behalf of MOHAMMAD SULEIMAN DALI ALI.

The referenced application for an immigrant visa went through the termination process and was destroyed in accordance with INA 203(g). An alien's registration for an immigrant visa shall be terminated if, within one year after notification of the availability of an immigrant visa, the applicant fails to apply for an immigrant visa.

If the beneficiary wishes to immigrate, the petitioner must file a new petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You may contact them at 1 (800) 375-5283 or visit the CIS web site for additional information at www.uscis.gov.

Case Number: DMS2005836010
                                Petitioner's Name: AL BAK, ZAKIEH HASSAN
                                Principal Applicant's Name: DALI ALI,MOHAMMAD SULEIMAN
                                Preference Category: F2B
                                Your Priority Date: 11Sep2002
                                Foreign State Chargeability: SYRIA
                                Invoice ID Number: 15286159
                                U.S. EMBASSY
                                P.O. Box 354
                                AMMAN
                                11118 JORDAN

Jane

National Visa Center
                                Written Inquiry Unit
                                FCi Federal, Support Contractor