Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F1 student getting marry during grace period.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 student getting marry during grace period.

I am F1 currently on OPT. (which ends on March 31th). My bf pop the question last year, because I want to fully utilize my OPT and work, we decided to get marry after my OPT.

Here are some of my questions:

1. after getting marry, when can i start my green card process.
    2. because my grace period is ending on May 28th, can i remain in US after that if my green card process starts before that?
    3. my company has offer my an opportunity but as far as i know, i will need to wait for 3-4 month for my temp EAD card to get approve, is that true?
    4. we are planing to go back to my home country in December. is there anything i need to file (beside advance parole)?
    5. should i hire a lawyer? if so, could anyone recommend any law firm in Buffalo, NY area? I would prefer save some money... and try to do it myself, but i would also like to consult with a lawyer via phone or in person.
    6. do i need to certified translate my birth certificate here in US or back home? does it has to be notarized? my parents would prefer keeping my original birth certificate at home and just scan me the doc. will that work ?

Thank you for your time and help. I appreciate any advice and suggestions.

1. You can start the green card process. However once you do, you will no longer be able to renew your F-1 visa, and probably not extend your OPT.
    2. If your husband is a US citizen then yes, you can probably stay, you need to ask a lawyer. If he only has a green card then no.
    3. Yes, if he's a US citizen. Otherwise, it's 13 months.
    4. It depends. If he's a US citizen and you start the process now, you'll have your green card before December. If he's not and that you somehow find a way to stay in the US in the meantime, you probably won't be able to come back to the US after you leave until you have the green card.
    5. You don't need a lawyer to file the green card. If your marriage is legitimate and you have pictures, history, you can prove you have been dating for a while then there should be no suspicions and you can file yourself.
    6. I don't think it matters where the birth certificate is translated. You could ask your consulate.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X