No announcement yet.

Parents with Green Card stayed out of USA for 15 months and want to return back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents with Green Card stayed out of USA for 15 months and want to return back

My parents having un-expired green card travelled to India last year January to close all the ties in India and return back to USA. But unfortunately my father had health issues and had to go through a surgery and couldn't return back within a year. I would like to know what will happen if they return back now? I see that the option to apply for reentry permit is not possible, since they are not present in USA. Is there anything else I can do? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello Sudharaman,

I am in the same situation. How are you proceeding on your case? If you found something that also will help me.

Thanks

Comment

Hey Sundaram,

Please check with re-entry permit once and it may eligible for certain time and they were going to live permanently then the can apply for new green card so that they can live permanently in the US

Thanks

Robert Shapiro

Disclaimer : This is not a legal advice and taking at your own risk

Comment

Re-entry permit & outside United States

Originally posted by Sudharaman View Post
        My parents having un-expired green card travelled to India last year January to close all the ties in India and return back to USA. But unfortunately my father had health issues and had to go through a surgery and couldn't return back within a year. I would like to know what will happen if they return back now? I see that the option to apply for reentry permit is not possible, since they are not present in USA. Is there anything else I can do? Any help is greatly appreciated.
        Hey,
        I was in the same situation, I used form I-551 stamp on my passport to travel outside United States.
        You do not need a reentry permit if you will be outside the United States for less than 1 year. If you have been outside the United States for less than 1 year, you may use your Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) as travel document.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X