No announcement yet.

Visa for Green card holder's fiance???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa for Green card holder's fiance???

Hi !

Can some one help me with some information? I just got engaged to my boyfriend. He will be soon getting a green card for USA. Now the question is how can i go with him to USA? Can he apply for fiance visa for me or may be a spouse visa if we get married???

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

You need to wait until your bf gets his greencard. A greencard holder can only petition a wife. A US citizen can petition a fiancee or wife.

Comment

Some advice

If your bf does not have his greencard yet but is in the US on a non-immigrant visa, make sure you get married and apply for a spouse visa BEFORE he gets his greencard. You can even piggyback on his application. Once he gets his greencard you are stuck because it is a 5 year wait for greencard holders to get their spouses to the US. You can get more info at www.unitefamilies.org. Better still, consult an immigration attorney right away, it will save you years of heartache and endless waiting.

Comment

Thanks for your useful advice. I have gobe thru the website you had suggested. But problem is We cannot get married before my bf gets his green card because he has applied on a mother son relationship. His mother has just become a US citizen. And for him to get his green card he has to be unmarried. Would I have no way I go with him once he gets his green card. Please advice!

Comment

I understand your situation. Unfortunately, I am not aware of anything else you can do. There is a bill currently being considered by Congress that may alleviate the problem by reducing the wait time a little bit. But that is not passed in to law yet. Your best bet is to get a student visa (F1) before you get married or get a job there and then go via an H1 visa. My advice would be to speak to an immigration lawyer. Hopefully, they can guide you. I wish I had better news. Best of luck.

Comment

Have you figered it out yet?
            I also have the same problem

Comment

Originally posted by Willian Oliveira View Post
              Have you figered it out yet?
              I also have the same problem
              This thread was last updated 10 years ago.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X