Hib - change of petitioner - dropbox eligibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hib - change of petitioner - dropbox eligibility

I have a question regarding the the dropbox eligibility (interview waiver) for someone like me who has changed employers. My expired H1B was petitioned by previous employer.

However, when I try to schedule interview appointment through the website AND through the phone they are finding me eligible for DROPBOX and is NOT LETTING ME schedule an interview. The phone customer support lady says that criteria is changed. Eventhough, in the consulate website its still mentioned. I see that in the USTRAVELS website the change of petitioner critera is NOT mentioned. The lady on the phone was saying we should go by their website and not the consulate! Any advice on this ? Has anyone experience similar situation.

I am afraid, if I just go to drobox, they will end up calling me for interview later and then I may not have enough time! So I would rather get done with the interview as soon as I land in India.
    Last edited by sarathcpt; 06-12-2015, 01:37 AM.

Any input ?

Basically, my question is is the rule that the petitioner has to be same for dropbox eligibility still valid or has it been relaxed as the USTRAVELDOCS customer support lady claims?

Comment

Called the customer care again. They insist that the 'change of petitioner' rule is removed for dropbox eligibility. I just wish the consulate had updated their site as well.

I will just have to cross my fingers and do dropbox. No other option.

Comment

Hi,

Even I am in the same situation. My current stamp is expiring in September and i changed my employer late last year. I am planning to restamp my H1B visa and it is showing as eligible for dropbox. Did you get your H1B restamped through Dropbox?

Thanks
        KV

Comment

I am also in the same situation now. Changed employer, my current Visa is still valid until Sept 2015 but when I tried to take appointment yesterday, the website said I am eligible for dropbox. i also called the support and they said whatever the appointment website says follow that.

Can anyone confirm that dropbox option worked for you with changed employer(s)? as in got stamped without any issues?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sarathcpt View Post
            I have a question regarding the the dropbox eligibility (interview waiver) for someone like me who has changed employers. My expired H1B was petitioned by previous employer.

However, when I try to schedule interview appointment through the website AND through the phone they are finding me eligible for DROPBOX and is NOT LETTING ME schedule an interview. The phone customer support lady says that criteria is changed. Eventhough, in the consulate website its still mentioned. I see that in the USTRAVELS website the change of petitioner critera is NOT mentioned. The lady on the phone was saying we should go by their website and not the consulate! Any advice on this ? Has anyone experience similar situation.

I am afraid, if I just go to drobox, they will end up calling me for interview later and then I may not have enough time! So I would rather get done with the interview as soon as I land in India.
            Hi I faced the similar situation, I changed my employer last year May 2014. And my visa expired in Sept 2014.
            I am not able to schedule the appointment as it show you are eligible for DROPBOX.

As per customer care there is no effect of change of employer in eligibility of DROP BOX now.

I also mailed them the query and they replied :-

If your answer is yes to all the following questions which are available on

then you are eligible for dropbox. and here in this site no mention of change of employer or same petitioner.

Hopefully Drop box option will work as not able to schedule appointment.

Also on Mumbai consulate site Its mention for In September 2012, the U.S. Diplomatic Mission to India implemented a new visa processing system throughout India that further standardizes procedures and simplifies fee payment and appointment scheduling

For more details about procedures for submitting a renewal application
            Last edited by ambivertsumit; 06-23-2015, 12:36 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

[QUOTE=ambivertsumit;416515]Hi I faced the similar situation, I changed my employer last year May 2014. And my visa expired in Sept 2014.
              I am not able to schedule the appointment as it show you are eligible for DROPBOX.

As per customer care there is no effect of change of employer in eligibility of DROP BOX now.

then you are eligible for dropbox. and here in this site no mention of change of employer or same petitioner.

Also on Mumbai consulate site Its mention for In September 2012, the U.S. Diplomatic Mission to India implemented a new visa processing system throughout India that further standardizes procedures and simplifies fee payment and appointment scheduling through a new website at

I am facing the same issue. I had an H1 transfer before 7 months.
              All the forums and consulate website states a 12 month rule with same employer for dropbox eligibility.

But Dropbox Eligibility criteria listed indoes not specify anything about petitioner or employer or 12 months rule.
              I tried contacting ustraveldocs support, support team mentioned that if all the eligibility criteria is satisfied as per questions in appointment scheduler you are eligible for drop box.
              I guess dropbox is my only choice

I am planning for visa stamping by august end, will update this forum with details.

If anyone else tries this option before that, please update your experience.
              It will be helpful for others .

Sethu

Comment

Similar situation..any update

I am in similar situation and planning to go to India in August for stamping.I emailed the ustraveldocs website regarding the "IWP" and whether i need to schedule normal interview or whether iam eligible for the Interview Waiver program.The reply was a bit confusing as below:

Thank you for writing to the U.S. Visa Service Desk.

We understand that you want to know if you would be qualified for the Interview Waiver/Drop Box Program.

In response to your question, we would like to inform you the following:

1) Repeat travelers to the United States may, under some circumstances, renew their visas without appearing at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate for an interview, even if the employer is changed can opt under interview waiver program or drop box if only you meet all the eligibility criteria.

2) Please follow the link "http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp", to know about the IWP and the Drop box check the eligibility criteria, as we will not be able to comment if you would qualify for the same.

3) If you do not qualify for the IWP or the Drop Box, you will have to apply for a visa through the regular visa application process provided in the following link "http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visaapply.asp".

We hope this information is helpful to you.
                Please visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/gss_india to share feedback on the services we provide.

Sincerely,
                U.S. Visa Service Desk.

From 1st point, it seems that i am qualified for the IWP even though i changed the employer and my previous company's visa expired in Nov 2014(less than 12 months expiry).

Can anyone shed any light or recent experiences.

Thanks
                Omkar

Comment

I am eligible for DROPBOX, should I need to go for finger printing as well?
                  or finger printing is not required in case of DROP BOX.

Also as I am eligible Is my wife on H4 is also eligible for DROP box facility, she doesn't have I797 form as she is in india?

Comment

any updates?

In a similar situation. Has anyone been able to successfully get their visa going through dropbox after change in employer?

Comment

Update

I went with dropbox, and there were no problems. I got my visa stamped with new employer without any interview. They have changed the procedure.

Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by thegeekyhaxor View Post
                        I went with dropbox, and there were no problems. I got my visa stamped with new employer without any interview. They have changed the procedure.

Good luck!!

Hi thegeekyhaxor,

which consulate did you get ur new visa done? How many days did it take to get back ur passport? Also do you need to go for a biometric interview for finger printing and photo or directly we can just submit the dropbox application ?

Thanks in advance.

-R

Comment

Eagerly waiting for you update

Hi Sethu , i am on same condition my Drop box date in 28 Sep. Please share your experience once you done with dropbox process as you said end of august please.

[QUOTE=sethu;416552]
                          Originally posted by ambivertsumit View Post
                          Hi I faced the similar situation, I changed my employer last year May 2014. And my visa expired in Sept 2014.

Also on Mumbai consulate site Its mention for In September 2012, the U.S. Diplomatic Mission to India implemented a new visa processing system throughout India that further standardizes procedures and simplifies fee payment and appointment scheduling through a new website at

I am facing the same issue. I had an H1 transfer before 7 months.
                          All the forums and consulate website states a 12 month rule with same employer for dropbox eligibility.

But Dropbox Eligibility criteria listed indoes not specify anything about petitioner or employer or 12 months rule.
                          I tried contacting ustraveldocs support, support team mentioned that if all the eligibility criteria is satisfied as per questions in appointment scheduler you are eligible for drop box.
                          I guess dropbox is my only choice

I am planning for visa stamping by august end, will update this forum with details.

If anyone else tries this option before that, please update your experience.
                          It will be helpful for others .

Sethu
                          Last edited by kapa26; 08-26-2015, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I went through the DROP box facility with new petitioner and get the visa. They changed the procedure.
                            It took 5-6 days to get the visa stamped.
                            Document required
                            I797
                            OLD visa copy
                            2 Photos

Spouse
                            Yours I797 copy
                            Old visa copy if any
                            2 Photos

Good Luck

Comment

H1B renewal - new petitioner

Originally posted by ambivertsumit View Post
                              I went through the DROP box facility with new petitioner and get the visa. They changed the procedure.
                              It took 5-6 days to get the visa stamped.
                              Document required
                              I797
                              OLD visa copy
                              2 Photos

Spouse
                              Yours I797 copy
                              Old visa copy if any
                              2 Photos

Good Luck
                              Hi, I am also in a similar situation. I got my H1B visa thru employer A. Now I switched the employer to B and I need to renew my visa. Could you please share your experience so that I can get more confidence.
                              In the consulate page still it is mentioned that the initial petitioner and the current petitioner should be same to make the applicant eligible for IWP. Thanks in advance!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X