My husband has been in the US more than 5 years (with permanent residency since June 27, 2002), and I have a job offer abroad for a contract period. We leave Sept. 23. We don't know the exact duration of our stay abroad (1-2 years), but as a permanent resident from the UK, he may have issues coming back if we don't do this the right way. Please let us know if you have any knowledge regarding these questions:
1) Do we have time to get him US citizenship?
2) Would a lawyer expedite the process?
3) Would submitting the N400 restrict him from living abroad for a given time if he doesn't acquire residency prior to leaving?
4) If instead of submitting the N400, we apply for the re-entry permit, we understand that the period of continuous residence would be broken. Would the four years as a perm res and 5 years married and living in the US be sufficient to still allow him to apply for citizenship upon our return?
5) Can we apply for the re-entry permit and citizenship at the same time, or would that be unheard of?
Thank you so much for any suggestions or sharing your experiences!