Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuberculosis Testing : Positive PPD; Negative Xray; Refered to county HD: Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuberculosis Testing : Positive PPD; Negative Xray; Refered to county HD: Experiences

Hi,

As most Indians, I had BCG vaccine (with no proof) in India.
    According to the usual protocol, for the immigration, I was found positive for Tuberculin-PPD, Negative for X-Ray, and refered to the local Health Depatment.

What happens next ? Any experiences ?

I checked the Texas Health department, and the protocol is preventive chemotherapy for Tuberculosis, if I am below age 35 and nothing if I am above 35.

MumbX001
    Last edited by mumbX001; 07-25-2006, 10:27 AM. Reason: Correction..

Since the x-rays were negative has the doctor cleared you medically? The I-485 will not proceed until he/she clears you. If he cannot, without the preventative chemotherapy, then I guess youll have to do it and if youre too old or doesnt require it, then he clears you and your application proceeds.

Comment

Hi Curiousone

The doctor did return, the I-693 forms in a sealed envolope and I sent them to my lawyer. He has advised me to go to the local health dept. I dont know what he wrote in the I-693.

MumbX001

Comment

Your attorney can't open the envelope given by your doctor so he can't read or add anyhting to the form but he (the Doctor) should have given you a copy of the completed form. If not, request it and youll see whats there. But generally once the Xrays are negative, youll be medically cleared. If not, youll have to obtain a waiver but from what you have written, I think its o.k. for immigration purposes but for your own personal benefit might need to do more to prevent it occuring. Most immigrants from 3 rd world countries show a reaction to the Tb test. Youll be fine, I'm sure

Comment

The doctors by CDC protocol prescribes INH as medication for a positive PPD test, even though X-rays may be negative.

The reason of my worry is that the Mantoux test even though a "proven" test is a test of the 1930's (I guess). The INH(Isoniazid) tratement is a discovery of the 50's or 60's with known side effects and is still given in the 21'st century. The problem some say is that the developed countries took are of the TB problem long ago and hence probably did not invest in researching advanced medication for their public health system. For the minority of immigrants who come here they still have the same medication. Most doctors would be reluctant to give the medication for BCG vacinated patients, however have to follow the CDC guidelines.

Isoniazid

I am just hoping I dont have to take the medication.

Comment

Originally posted by mumbX001
            The doctors by CDC protocol prescribes INH as medication for a positive PPD test, even though X-rays may be negative.

The reason of my worry is that the Mantoux test even though a "proven" test is a test of the 1930's (I guess). The INH(Isoniazid) tratement is a discovery of the 50's or 60's with known side effects and is still given in the 21'st century. The problem some say is that the developed countries took are of the TB problem long ago and hence probably did not invest in researching advanced medication for their public health system. For the minority of immigrants who come here they still have the same medication. Most doctors would be reluctant to give the medication for BCG vacinated patients, however have to follow the CDC guidelines.

Isoniazid

I am just hoping I dont have to take the medication.

I cant answer the medical concerns you have. They can often be separate from the immigration...........but before you worry, why not obtain the copy of the I-693 from your Doctor so youll know whther or not you have been medically cleared although I think if you hadn't he would have told you..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X