Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my French fiance keep his French insurance in the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my French fiance keep his French insurance in the US?

I have been trying to find information on this topic, but I always end up getting directed to questions about insurance for people just traveling to France.

My fiance is French and will be in the States permanently by the end of this year, if all goes smoothly (we have gotten the NOA2 for the K-1 visa). He is concerned that the Affordable Care Act has some stipulation restricting him from keeping his French health insurance. Is this the case? And if so, could you please point to where that rule is written?

If in fact he is able to keep his French insurance, should he do anything extra? Does he need to register it?

Thanks for the help. I don't know anything about insurance (23, still under my parent's plan), so all of this is new to me.

Out of the country insurance

He will actually have to contact his French insurance to see if they will even cover him in the US. Generally your domestic insurance is designed to cover you in your home country. when you leave you may have no coverage or limited coverage. It will be best if he can get insurance here as soon as possible. Once you are married you won't be able to stay on your parents plan anyway so you both can get a new plan hopefully through an employer. The plans through a job will meet the affordable care act and keep you from having to pay a penalty at tax time.
    This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X