Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J-1 to K-1. Am I eligible to apply K-1 visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-1 to K-1. Am I eligible to apply K-1 visa?

While in the U.S. with a J-1 visa for my Fulbright scholarship, I met someone (a U.S. citizen) who is now my fiance. We fell in love and really want to get together. Since I was still under a scholarship program, I chose to follow the requirements of the J-1 and returned home on May 14th, 2014 before my visa expired on June 4th, 2014.
    Once I returned home, I continue my relationship with my fiance. Now we are on the process of applying for K-1 visa for me to come to the U.S. to marry him. USCIS has approved the I-129F petition. The National Visa Center (NVC) has sent our approved documents to the U.S. Embassy at my home country to process my visa application so I can return to the U.S. and marry my fiance.
    When I am filing out the DS-160 form as part of fulfilling the visa application requirements, I got this question: "Are you a former exchange visitor (J) who has not yet fulfilled the two year foreign residence requirement?." I am stuck with this question. My fiance said we should always answer every question with honesty. So, I clicked the answer "Yes" and wrote the explanation. I arrived back home on May 14, 2014. I have been physically staying in my home country for 1 year and 6 months already. It will be two years on May 14, 2016, but my fiance and I already on the process of applying for a K-1 visa. We are almost there. Just need to do medical examination and then visa interview.

I am wondering how my answer will affect the visa application. I saved my DS-160 form, have not finished it yet since I am afraid. I am afraid that there might be a possibility for my visa application would be delayed or denied.

We would really appreciate your help and advice. Please advise of what should we do. Should we proceed with the K-1 application? Or should we extend the I-129F? We want to avoid to do it all over again from the beginning, the separation, and to pay again for petition fee etc. Should we apply for a waiver?

What should we do with the approved 1-129F and the notification from the U.S. Embassy to schedule the visa interview?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
    Flo

Originally posted by Flo09 View Post
    While in the U.S. with a J-1 visa for my Fulbright scholarship, I met someone (a U.S. citizen) who is now my fiance. We fell in love and really want to get together. Since I was still under a scholarship program, I chose to follow the requirements of the J-1 and returned home on May 14th, 2014 before my visa expired on June 4th, 2014.
    Once I returned home, I continue my relationship with my fiance. Now we are on the process of applying for K-1 visa for me to come to the U.S. to marry him. USCIS has approved the I-129F petition. The National Visa Center (NVC) has sent our approved documents to the U.S. Embassy at my home country to process my visa application so I can return to the U.S. and marry my fiance.
    When I am filing out the DS-160 form as part of fulfilling the visa application requirements, I got this question: "Are you a former exchange visitor (J) who has not yet fulfilled the two year foreign residence requirement?." I am stuck with this question. My fiance said we should always answer every question with honesty. So, I clicked the answer "Yes" and wrote the explanation. I arrived back home on May 14, 2014. I have been physically staying in my home country for 1 year and 6 months already. It will be two years on May 14, 2016, but my fiance and I already on the process of applying for a K-1 visa. We are almost there. Just need to do medical examination and then visa interview.

I am wondering how my answer will affect the visa application. I saved my DS-160 form, have not finished it yet since I am afraid. I am afraid that there might be a possibility for my visa application would be delayed or denied.

We would really appreciate your help and advice. Please advise of what should we do. Should we proceed with the K-1 application? Or should we extend the I-129F? We want to avoid to do it all over again from the beginning, the separation, and to pay again for petition fee etc. Should we apply for a waiver?

What should we do with the approved 1-129F and the notification from the U.S. Embassy to schedule the visa interview?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
    Flo
    Hi Flo! My name is Flo too, and I'm from Argentina. I'm in the same exact situation you went through a couple of years ago. Would you be so kind to tell me how you resolved it and how things turned out for you? Thank you so so much for your Advice!!!

Flo II

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X