X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need clarifications on Divorce

Hi,
    I need a help on the divorce case.
    I am married in Feb 2015 in India and traveled to USA in April. Once I came here I and my wife had issues. And then we decided for divorce on Mutual Consent. Right now my wife is in India and she never visited US. So I am planning to travel to India for Divorce. Also my lawyer informed me that I have to appear to the court two times (One for the first time while filing and another after 6 months of reconciliation period for final time).

Yesterday I read some article that I can file divorce from US itself.

Can anyone shed more light on this?
    Here are my questions.
    1) Which is better idea of divorcing from USA or India. We have mutual consent?
    2) If I file a divorce from US, is the divorce valid in India and do I need to make it official in India to avoid future unforeseen consequences?
    3) How much time it will take if I file divorce here?
    4) Am I eligible to file divorce since it is not even a year I married?

Please help.

You can file for divorce while in the U.S. Whether it will be recognized in India is another issue, as some countries (Philippines is best example) require additional legal action in the absent spouse's country before recognizing foreign divorces.

--Ray B

Originally posted by OnH1B View Post
    Hi,
    I need a help on the divorce case.
    I am married in Feb 2015 in India and traveled to USA in April. Once I came here I and my wife had issues. And then we decided for divorce on Mutual Consent. Right now my wife is in India and she never visited US. So I am planning to travel to India for Divorce. Also my lawyer informed me that I have to appear to the court two times (One for the first time while filing and another after 6 months of reconciliation period for final time).

Yesterday I read some article that I can file divorce from US itself.

Can anyone shed more light on this?
    Here are my questions.
    1) Which is better idea of divorcing from USA or India. We have mutual consent?
    2) If I file a divorce from US, is the divorce valid in India and do I need to make it official in India to avoid future unforeseen consequences?
    3) How much time it will take if I file divorce here?
    4) Am I eligible to file divorce since it is not even a year I married?

Please help.

Comment

Need clarifications on Divorce

i completely agree with above posts, you have got the best suggestions i guess.

Comment

Need advice

Ok I'm married to a lady from Azerbaijan and have been for around two and a half years. During the time I've been with her I still haven't got her paperwork finished for many reasons but I'll get to that in a bit. Also during the time I've been married to her we've been separated off and on about half of the time. I've gone back to find her because I worry about her and love her. I have enough character witnesses to prove it. So recently she has asked me to contact the lady I was filing her paperwork with and asked for an uncontested divorce. Well my wife has been talking to another lawyer and he's convinced your to move out of our apartment and go stay in a women's shelter for battered women. Unfortunately at the time I didn't have a lot of money to get her paperwork finished but I told her I would soon and we'd fix her legal status. Well during the four weeks she's been gone she hasn't returned my calls or text until the other day. She is claiming I hostage her and was using her as a sex slave. We haven't had sex in over a month or so. Prior to her leaving we talked about bringing her father her and to help him out. I have made plans to go see him to bring him here. Well we've been separated now for a month and I just found out that my wife has just moved into the same house as her attorney. He has been taking her out to eat and shopping. Mind you since she's been gone I've been putting money in her account. There are other people who live in the house he's renting but he just got a divorce not too long ago. My wife is 33 and he's 56. Any way I haven't hired an attorney yet but my attorney buddy works in the same office and was talking about me paying her money each month for a year and be done with it. I don't feel I owe her anything. I believe this marriage has been a sham and she was just using me to get a green card. I'm trying to save money and not waste it on a divorce lawyer. I don't know if I should contact immigration too. The thing is I loved her but she's putting me through. If she's true about saying I hostage her and used her as a sex slave how is that going to affect me or my record? Also isn't it unethical for a lawyer to have a client to live with them and to be taking them out to eat and shopping? Mind you she may have been spending the money I put in her account. Please advise. And please keep all the stupid comments to yourself. I need help.

Comment

divorce and green card.

Originally posted by Jeff Shaw View Post
          Ok I'm married to a lady from Azerbaijan and have been for around two and a half years. During the time I've been with her I still haven't got her paperwork finished for many reasons but I'll get to that in a bit. Also during the time I've been married to her we've been separated off and on about half of the time. I've gone back to find her because I worry about her and love her. I have enough character witnesses to prove it. So recently she has asked me to contact the lady I was filing her paperwork with and asked for an uncontested divorce. Well my wife has been talking to another lawyer and he's convinced your to move out of our apartment and go stay in a women's shelter for battered women. Unfortunately at the time I didn't have a lot of money to get her paperwork finished but I told her I would soon and we'd fix her legal status. Well during the four weeks she's been gone she hasn't returned my calls or text until the other day. She is claiming I hostage her and was using her as a sex slave. We haven't had sex in over a month or so. Prior to her leaving we talked about bringing her father her and to help him out. I have made plans to go see him to bring him here. Well we've been separated now for a month and I just found out that my wife has just moved into the same house as her attorney. He has been taking her out to eat and shopping. Mind you since she's been gone I've been putting money in her account. There are other people who live in the house he's renting but he just got a divorce not too long ago. My wife is 33 and he's 56. Any way I haven't hired an attorney yet but my attorney buddy works in the same office and was talking about me paying her money each month for a year and be done with it. I don't feel I owe her anything. I believe this marriage has been a sham and she was just using me to get a green card. I'm trying to save money and not waste it on a divorce lawyer. I don't know if I should contact immigration too. The thing is I loved her but she's putting me through. If she's true about saying I hostage her and used her as a sex slave how is that going to affect me or my record? Also isn't it unethical for a lawyer to have a client to live with them and to be taking them out to eat and shopping? Mind you she may have been spending the money I put in her account. Please advise. And please keep all the stupid comments to yourself. I need help.

I want to add to my post. I've done some research and the attorney has a house in another town in which I believe he is harboring more illegal women that he is probably representing. Chances are he's using the whole victim scenerio too.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X