Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annulment of Marriage with GC

Hi,

I am married for 6 years and got GC through husband's employer 4 years back in US. But now would like to Annul the wedding as there was no relationship due to the husband lack of interest in marriage instead looking at spiritual ways to attain enrichment. So the question is will the Annulment pose a problem when it comes to applying Citizenship as I am a year away from applying the citizenship. Would it pose an issue to the Green Card?

How long would it take for to annul the marriage legally once I start the process?

To get an annulment in the U.S. a higher level of evidence is usually required than for a divorce. In some other countries this may not be the case.
    My suggestion is to just get a routine divorce with assistance of an experienced paralegal (rather than an attorney), if the issues, property and children, are minimal.

Also, to seek an annulment (rather than a divorce) after a marriage of six years will be more hassle than a divorce because of the length of the marriage. Most annulments in the U.S. are to terminate (or render marriages as not having been valid) marriages of short-term duration.

--Ray B

Originally posted by luk4bri8future View Post
    Hi,

I am married for 6 years and got GC through husband's employer 4 years back in US. But now would like to Annul the wedding as there was no relationship due to the husband lack of interest in marriage instead looking at spiritual ways to attain enrichment. So the question is will the Annulment pose a problem when it comes to applying Citizenship as I am a year away from applying the citizenship. Would it pose an issue to the Green Card?

How long would it take for to annul the marriage legally once I start the process?

Comment

So what's the difference between a paralegal and an attorney?

Comment

A paralegal is generally an assistant to an attorney that is well versed in the law. An attorney is an individual that has been through years of formal education and passed a single states or multiple states bar exams to legally practice law.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X