TN visa renewal taking too long ... want to change to F2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN visa renewal taking too long ... want to change to F2

I have been working with the same employer for 2 years. My work authorization expired in November 2015 and my employer applied for a TN renewal back at the beginning of August, but we haven't received the TN renewal, the only thing we received is a confirmation saying that USCIS has received the petition. That process usually takes about 3 months, but it has almost been 5 MONTHS, does anybody know why is it taking so long? An immigration attorney told me I can keep on working with the same employer for 240 days until USCIS approves or rejects my visa renewal. On a side note I want to change my status to F2 ASAP because my wife has a new good job in a different state, since she recently earned a PhD. from a U.S. university, but the immigration attorney we consulted recommended us to wait until I get the TN renewal and then request the status change. My wife has an OPT (Optional Practical Training that allows her to work legally) that is linked to her F1 visa. What happens if I travel to Mexico to request an F2 before I receive my TN renewal, would that get me in trouble? All we want is to be together as soon as possible. Does anybody has a similar problem Thank you!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X