H-4 to F-1 in middle of semester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-4 to F-1 in middle of semester

BACKGROUND : Currently,I am doing MS from UWM in H-4 status. So far I have completed 12 credits and I am in the 3rd semester now (Spring'16) . In this semester, I have opted for 3 courses/9 credits out of which only 1 is classroom course .

There is a likely chance that when I'll be in middle of my semester 3 (Feb'16) my husband may go out of status , meaning that his H-1B visa may not be valid . This in turn means that I'll also go out of status.

I do not want to initiate I-20 request before knowing about my husband's visa status because if I do, then I'll have to un-necessarily take courses in Summer semester which are not relevant to my MS. I will accrue additional fee of at least $12,000 on this.

QUESTION :

1. How should I proceed for obtaining an F-1 ? Will university provide me I-20 in middle of semester ?

2. If above is possible in Feb'16 itself and then I mail the I-20 to USCIS for COS , will I be considered in-status until my application is approved ? How do I manage the timing for this eventuality ? For example, let's say that my husband's H-1B becomes invalid on Feb-15-2016 and I obtain the I-20 on Feb-16-2016 and mail it to USCIS on the same or next day, which will eventually reach to USCIS in 2-3 days. Will I be considered out-of-status since Feb-15-2016 ?

3. F-1 mandates 2 classroom and 1 online course only however, I've opted for 1 classroom and 2 online course in the current semester. Will this be a problem for Change of status?

4.What is a better mode for F-1 application in my case - Going out of country for stamping OR post the application to USCIS while being in the US ?

Please guide me.

consult

Hello,
    I think you must consult with your university faculities first, listen to them very clearly and try to understand what they are saying, then afterwards you contact to your consultant throught which you got your visa.
    Hotel Polo Club

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X