Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with filing I-130

Hello everyone!

I am a U.S. citizen currently living in Viet Nam. I am young and just graduated college with a girl I met studying abroad from Viet Nam and decided to move here to live for around a year and 2 months. Well, at the end of 2016, the plan is for both of us to return to the U.S. Additionally, we were married here in Viet Nam in December 2015. I am looking to file a form I-130 to petition her relation to me and begin the immigrant visa process. Here comes the problem:

To file the form I seem to have the option of submitting it to the P.O. box in the US or a USCIS office if one exists in the country I reside in.

1. If I want to file by mailing to the P.O. box, I need a check issued from a U.S. bank. Unfortunately, I closed all my accounts before I left the U.S. because they wouldn't be used for over a year while I am in Viet Nam.

2. There is no USCIS office in Viet Nam, so if I attempt to file here at an embassy, I would need to qualify under "exceptional circumstances" which are mostly related to emergencies of time or health. There is an office with jurisdiction over Viet Nam located in Bangkok, Thailand but they also require "exceptional circumstances" for those who don't reside in Thailand, even for those residing in a country under their jurisdiction.

What options do I have at this point, short of returning to the U.S. to open an account and file all the papers?

Thanks for any help or advice!

VN Guy,

You need to transfer funds to U.S. so that someone in the U.S. can submit your tax return WITH A $420 check. Make sure your I-130 has a U.S.-based address as your domicile. Western Union is the easiest funds transfer option for you right now.

--Ray B

Originally posted by VN-Newguy View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am a U.S. citizen currently living in Viet Nam. I am young and just graduated college with a girl I met studying abroad from Viet Nam and decided to move here to live for around a year and 2 months. Well, at the end of 2016, the plan is for both of us to return to the U.S. Additionally, we were married here in Viet Nam in December 2015. I am looking to file a form I-130 to petition her relation to me and begin the immigrant visa process. Here comes the problem:

To file the form I seem to have the option of submitting it to the P.O. box in the US or a USCIS office if one exists in the country I reside in.

1. If I want to file by mailing to the P.O. box, I need a check issued from a U.S. bank. Unfortunately, I closed all my accounts before I left the U.S. because they wouldn't be used for over a year while I am in Viet Nam.

2. There is no USCIS office in Viet Nam, so if I attempt to file here at an embassy, I would need to qualify under "exceptional circumstances" which are mostly related to emergencies of time or health. There is an office with jurisdiction over Viet Nam located in Bangkok, Thailand but they also require "exceptional circumstances" for those who don't reside in Thailand, even for those residing in a country under their jurisdiction.

What options do I have at this point, short of returning to the U.S. to open an account and file all the papers?

Comment

Originally posted by VN-Newguy View Post
      Hello everyone!

Do you know anyone in Vietnam who has an American checkbook and could write out a check for you?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X