Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on permanent residency

Hello,

In 2014 my husband and I were the sponsors for my dad to come from Brazil and obtain a permanent residency ( green card).

He was granted entry in August of 2014 and arrived in the US on 12/11/2014. He stayed with me briefly and moved in with my brother in Florida, I reside in Texas. He lived in Florida from January 2015 until and left approximately 6 months later, to move back to Brazil. He returned for a brief visit in December 2015 ( 2 weeks).

During his 6 month stay here, he purchased health insurance with Obama care and canceled upon leaving. He is now residing in Brazil with no plans to return to live in the US.

I am working on filing my taxes, as his sponsor, I need to know if I need to list him as a dependent for the 6 months he lived here, he did not work and did not have an income and has since left. If I don't have to list him on my taxes, does he have to file his own ? I just don't want him not to do it and me not add him to mine and get in trouble.Since his green card is still valid, will I have to do this every year until he is living there long enough for his green card to be annulled?

Lastly, since the new health insurance is obligatory, even if he is living in Brazil, does he have to maintain health insurance so he does not have to pay a penalty for not having insurance?

Thank you for helping me with these questions, I would appreciate any information.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X