No announcement yet.

Been over 3 months, no response regarding wife's GC application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Ray. An I-130 approval notice was received last week that stated that the applicants would be contacted within 30 days by NVC. Do you know if they'd send a mail, email or contact by phone?

Comment

The State Department (NVC) contact will be in the form of a hardcopy "Welcome Letter," postal mailed to visa applicant, and sometime to petitioner.

-Ray B

Originally posted by Neville Katrak View Post
      Thanks Ray. An I-130 approval notice was received last week that stated that the applicants would be contacted within 30 days by NVC. Do you know if they'd send a mail, email or contact by phone?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
        The State Department (NVC) contact will be in the form of a hardcopy "Welcome Letter," postal mailed to visa applicant, and sometime to petitioner.

-Ray B
        Oh okay. I have a slight issue with that.

There were actually two GC approval notices sent - one for the wife staying in India at her permanent home address (which is not an issue) and one for the 28 year old son who recently graduated in Canada and is now on a work permit in Canada. His apartment lease expired in September, and he is now in India for a 6-month+ vacation and going back to Canada in May/June and is going to find a new apartment and job in another city. Now, if the approval notice is going to be sent meanwhile to the son's old Canadian apartment address for which the lease has expired (yes, this is the address that was entered in the GC application for the son), the letter would be going into a stranger's hands. Is it possible to avoid that?

Comment

Neville,

You're now mixing subjects. A "Green Card" approval notice and NVC Welcome Letter don't match. You must mean the immigrant petition (I-130) approval notice, which precedes the NVC Welcome Letter.

Assuming the above is correct, the son's address issue must be addressed by calling the NVC and requesting that the address be changed. You will have to provide the NVC with the I-130 receipt number, names and DOB's of petitioner and son/applicant, and ask for the newly-assigned State Department number.

--Ray B

Oh okay. I have a slight issue with that.

There were actually two GC approval notices sent - one for the wife staying in India at her permanent home address (which is not an issue) and one for the 28 year old son who recently graduated in Canada and is now on a work permit in Canada. His apartment lease expired in September, and he is now in India for a 6-month+ vacation and going back to Canada in May/June and is going to find a new apartment and job in another city. Now, if the approval notice is going to be sent meanwhile to the son's old Canadian apartment address for which the lease has expired (yes, this is the address that was entered in the GC application for the son), the letter would be going into a stranger's hands. Is it possible to avoid that?

Comment

Sorry Ray. Yes, I meant the two I-130 approval notices have been received, and next are the NVC Welcome Letters that would be mailed to the wife's and son's individual addresses in India and Canada, respectively, within 30 days I believe. Is it okay to change the son's address to the Indian address same as wife although he would be going back to Canada soon and start working/staying there? This is because he's not going to have a permanent address in Canada anytime soon, as he would be shifting from one city to another depending on where he finds the job. Or if that complicates things, is it okay to keep the initial Canadian address unchanged for now and just ignore the Welcome letter, as he's anyway not going to receive the GC for the next 7-8 years based on processing times? He can collect the letter from the old apartment's leasing office when he returns to Canada in May/June. What do you suggest?

Neville,

You're now mixing subjects. A "Green Card" approval notice and NVC Welcome Letter don't match. You must mean the immigrant petition (I-130) approval notice, which precedes the NVC Welcome Letter.

Assuming the above is correct, the son's address issue must be addressed by calling the NVC and requesting that the address be changed. You will have to provide the NVC with the I-130 receipt number, names and DOB's of petitioner and son/applicant, and ask for the newly-assigned State Department number.

--Ray B

Comment

Re[prt to the NVC a permanent mailing address for the son. Address changes cause more problems during processing waits than almost anything else. The only way you can fix this is to report a mailing address as fixes as the "Rock of Gibraltar."

--Ray B

Sorry Ray. Yes, I meant the two I-130 approval notices have been received, and next are the NVC Welcome Letters that would be mailed to the wife's and son's individual addresses in India and Canada, respectively, within 30 days I believe. Is it okay to change the son's address to the Indian address same as wife although he would be going back to Canada soon and start working/staying there? This is because he's not going to have a permanent address in Canada anytime soon, as he would be shifting from one city to another depending on where he finds the job. Or if that complicates things, is it okay to keep the initial Canadian address unchanged for now and just ignore the Welcome letter, as he's anyway not going to receive the GC for the next 7-8 years based on processing times? He can collect the letter from the old apartment's leasing office when he returns to Canada in May/June. What do you suggest?

Comment

Hi Neville,

Pls reply me over email for something important and also could suggest you something.

Thanks,
                Kandan

Comment

Re[prt to the NVC a permanent mailing address for the son. Address changes cause more problems during processing waits than almost anything else. The only way you can fix this is to report a mailing address as fixes as the "Rock of Gibraltar."

--Ray B
                  Is it okay to give the same address as the wife's i.e. in India, although he will be staying in Canada?

Comment

Provide the best address at which he can be reached, i.e., probably Canada.

--Ray B

Is it okay to give the same address as the wife's i.e. in India, although he will be staying in Canada?

Comment

But he doesn't have a permanent address yet in Canada. What happens if the Indian home address is given?

Provide the best address at which he can be reached, i.e., probably Canada.

--Ray B

Comment

Then use the best address at which he can expect to receive mail during the entire immigration processing.

-Ray B

But he doesn't have a permanent address yet in Canada. What happens if the Indian home address is given?

Comment

Hi Ray,

How does this sound to you regarding change of address request for the son?

My son has moved out of his xxx address in Canada (that is listed on his application) and is currently on temporary accommodation as he is looking for a job and may have to relocate to a different city in the coming months. Therefore, to make sure that any mail or other correspondence reaches him properly, it is best to have the mailing address on his application changed to our home address in India which is as follows... xxx

Comment

How you do this depends on where the paperwork is right now.

If at USCIS, you need to call the USCIS help number, 1-800-375-5283. You cannot use the AR-11 or online address change to report an address outside the U.S>

If at NVC, call NVC at:603) 334-0700

Sending a message to either USCIS or NVC won't work.

--Ray B

Hi Ray,

How does this sound to you regarding change of address request for the son?

My son has moved out of his xxx address in Canada (that is listed on his application) and is currently on temporary accommodation as he is looking for a job and may have to relocate to a different city in the coming months. Therefore, to make sure that any mail or other correspondence reaches him properly, it is best to have the mailing address on his application changed to our home address in India which is as follows... xxx

Comment

How you do this depends on where the paperwork is right now.

If at USCIS, you need to call the USCIS help number, 1-800-375-5283. You cannot use the AR-11 or online address change to report an address outside the U.S>

If at NVC, call NVC at:603) 334-0700

Sending a message to either USCIS or NVC won't work.

--Ray B
                              It wasn't an email message, it's what I would speak over the phone. I just wanted your advice whether the wording seemed right/satisfactory?

Also, how do I find out if the paperwork is at USCIS or NVC right now i.e. whom to call? The I-130 approval notices were received last week.

Comment

Then where were the Approval Notices sent and received?

Within the next couple of weeks, your packages will be at the National Visa Center (post DHS spproval).

--Ray B

It wasn't an email message, it's what I would speak over the phone. I just wanted your advice whether the wording seemed right/satisfactory?

Also, how do I find out if the paperwork is at USCIS or NVC right now i.e. whom to call? The I-130 approval notices were received last week.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X