Looking For Advice - Visa for children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Advice - Visa for children

Hello! I recently relocated to the USA with my husband and am now a legal resident. (next year must apply for removal of conditions).

During this time I have also been in a custody battle with my ex-husband, which is why they could not accompany me at the time. Since I am here, and they are still in Canada, what kind of visa or process would be the quickest way to get them here?

We are very unsure of how to go about this, without it taking years...especially since I can not stay out of the USA for long periods of time, and my home and husband is in the USA. He is a citizen of the USA, by the way.

Is there an emergency type, or special processing we can get?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Sara

You need a mediator to help your ex-husband and you to make a legally-documented agreement. I've always thought of divorce and children's custody issues as a "war" of sorts, and you are too close to the battle zone to be objective, as is your ex-husband.

You must also face the possibility that your children are currently too attached to your ex-husband to favor your need to be with them full time in the U.S. In California, where I am living, there used to be a general rule when it came to child custody, and that was from the age of 13 on, the child's desires would be given full recognition. There may be similar rules in force in Canada.

-Ray B

Originally posted by SMarie View Post
    Hello! I recently relocated to the USA with my husband and am now a legal resident. (next year must apply for removal of conditions).

During this time I have also been in a custody battle with my ex-husband, which is why they could not accompany me at the time. Since I am here, and they are still in Canada, what kind of visa or process would be the quickest way to get them here?

We are very unsure of how to go about this, without it taking years...especially since I can not stay out of the USA for long periods of time, and my home and husband is in the USA. He is a citizen of the USA, by the way.

Is there an emergency type, or special processing we can get?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Sara

Comment

Hello! Thank you for your reply.

I already have custody of them, but like I said, getting them here seems so far like its going to be a lengthy process.

We were hoping that someone has any idea how we can get them into the USA sooner, if there are any special things we can apply for. We are not concerned about costs, just time. My babies need to come home

Thank you for any who can offer some info!

Sara

Comment

Your husband needs to petition the children with form I-130. As a U.S. citizen petitioner, it should take about 10 months for them to reach the interview stage. Apply for their passports soon as possible, as that step seems to get bogged down in some countries.

--Ray B

Originally posted by SMarie View Post
        Hello! Thank you for your reply.

I already have custody of them, but like I said, getting them here seems so far like its going to be a lengthy process.

We were hoping that someone has any idea how we can get them into the USA sooner, if there are any special things we can apply for. We are not concerned about costs, just time. My babies need to come home

Thank you for any who can offer some info!

Sara

Comment

Visa for my daughter

Hello Everyone, need an important suggestion. I applied for a US visa with my wife we got it in October this year. I have a 2 year daughter too whom I did not include in my visa application as I though that later on once we get the visa I can use the drop box facility. Now when I applied for my daughters visa they gave us a letter for the interview and they want us both to go back to embassy with our original passports. I am not sure what's gonna happen. Please help

Comment

Govin,

You aren't providing enough information to give you advice.

1. Are you a U.S. citizen?
            2. Did you use form I-130 to petition your wife?
            3. Is the child your natural daughter? Or is she your stepdaughter, natural daughter or your wife?

--Ray B

Originally posted by Govind2306.suri View Post
            Hello Everyone, need an important suggestion. I applied for a US visa with my wife we got it in October this year. I have a 2 year daughter too whom I did not include in my visa application as I though that later on once we get the visa I can use the drop box facility. Now when I applied for my daughters visa they gave us a letter for the interview and they want us both to go back to embassy with our original passports. I am not sure what's gonna happen. Please help

Comment

Can petition be expired

Greeting everyone, I am new on here.

I have a question. My grandmother had petitioned for my father to come to the USA, I was young at time, Now i turned 2o years old. My dad came to states in 2009 and I didnt accompany him to the usa.
              My grand mother passed, she was us citizen, I want to know if the application would still be good for me to open a case and so i can migrate to the US?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Comment

Maybe...

You need to obtain the State Department case number, and call the NVC to see if you are still listed as eligible for a "follow to join" derivative visa.
                When calling the NVC you will need names and birthdates of petitoner and primary immigrant, and your own name and birthdate. Call (603) 334-0700 early in the day.

-Ray B

Originally posted by Leejen View Post
                Greeting everyone, I am new on here.

I have a question. My grandmother had petitioned for my father to come to the USA, I was young at time, Now i turned 2o years old. My dad came to states in 2009 and I didnt accompany him to the usa.
                My grand mother passed, she was us citizen, I want to know if the application would still be good for me to open a case and so i can migrate to the US?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X