Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going homeland

Dear Experts and fellows,

I am going my homeland for around 1.5 years. I want to to know if I have understood the whole procedure correctly.

Total I have to spend 3 years in order to get Citizenship / Naturalization.
    At-least 18 months to be physically present in the US.
    Remaining 12 months can spend outside the US.
    One can apply for Naturalization after 2.9 years.
    One can not leave US after he / she applied for Naturalization (N-400) and it may take 5 - 8 months to complete.

Please include if there is any wrong information.

Zain,

If you are out of the U.S. for six months or more during your waiting period for U.S. Naturalization eligibility, you may be cosidered to not meet the eligiblity criteria. The 18-month period required for eligiblity (if married to a U.S. citizen) leaves you open for dennial if any of your time outside the U.S. was for periods of 6 months or more.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Zain.aziz View Post
    Dear Experts and fellows,

I am going my homeland for around 1.5 years. I want to to know if I have understood the whole procedure correctly.

Total I have to spend 3 years in order to get Citizenship / Naturalization.
    At-least 18 months to be physically present in the US.
    Remaining 12 months can spend outside the US.
    One can apply for Naturalization after 2.9 years.
    One can not leave US after he / she applied for Naturalization (N-400) and it may take 5 - 8 months to complete.

Please include if there is any wrong information.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      Zain,

If you are out of the U.S. for six months or more during your waiting period for U.S. Naturalization eligibility, you may be cosidered to not meet the eligiblity criteria. The 18-month period required for eligiblity (if married to a U.S. citizen) leaves you open for dennial if any of your time outside the U.S. was for periods of 6 months or more.

--Ray B
      Sir,

If I get re-entry permit of 2 years then I will get exemption of this six month ? and I can stay outside the US till 2 years without any problem ?

Zain

Comment

A Reentry Permit just allows you to stay out without risk of losing your Green Card status. But if you stay out that long, your waiting period for meeting Naturalization requirements has been interrupted.

--Ray B

Sir,

If I get re-entry permit of 2 years then I will get exemption of this six month ? and I can stay outside the US till 2 years without any problem ?

Zain

Comment

A Reentry Permit just allows you to stay out without risk of losing your Green Card status. But if you stay out that long, your waiting period for meeting Naturalization requirements has been interrupted.

--Ray B
          Thank you very much Ray B for such information.
          I would really appreciate if you can BEST guide me what will be a best option. I have to go outside US for up to 2 years because I have some necessary work to complete. I know by gathering information from different sources I won't be able to pick the good decision for me. You have more knowledge and I will appreciate if you can neutrally guide me what should I do before leaving US.

I am also concern about when I will be eligible for Naturalization (How many years after I come to US) ? I came to US on 2 Feb 2016 and planning to leave in May 2016 then after 2 years I will come to US again March 2018.

Zain

Comment

Apply for a Reentry Permit with form I-131, https://www.uscis.gov/i-131 and $445 fee. Wait until you have completed Biometrics before leaving U.S.

When you return to the U.S., wait 4 years and 9 months before applying for Naturalization, or 2 years and 9 months if married to a U.S. citizen.

--Ray B

Thank you very much Ray B for such information.
            I would really appreciate if you can BEST guide me what will be a best option. I have to go outside US for up to 2 years because I have some necessary work to complete. I know by gathering information from different sources I won't be able to pick the good decision for me. You have more knowledge and I will appreciate if you can neutrally guide me what should I do before leaving US.

I am also concern about when I will be eligible for Naturalization (How many years after I come to US) ? I came to US on 2 Feb 2016 and planning to leave in May 2016 then after 2 years I will come to US again March 2018.

Zain

Comment

Apply for a Reentry Permit with form I-131, https://www.uscis.gov/i-131 and $445 fee. Wait until you have completed Biometrics before leaving U.S.

When you return to the U.S., wait 4 years and 9 months before applying for Naturalization, or 2 years and 9 months if married to a U.S. citizen.

--Ray B
              Sir,

It means that the time I will outside the US (re-entry permit 2 years) that time will not considered in 2 years and 9 months duration. I never understood the meanings of spending 18 months physically present in US out of 2 year and 9 months duration.

Dear Sir, can you please guide me regarding if I don't take re-entry permit now and visit US within 6 months till 2 years, then after 2 years I come to US and spend 18 months consecutive in order to complete naturalization period. Is it gonna work ? or I am mistaking due to lack of knowledge ?

Before applying to I-131 I want to figure out if any option because I really don't want to break my continuous residency.

Zain

Comment

Zain,

There is no "silver bullet" strategy to allow you to maximize your time outside the U.S. to handle family or business problems abroad while qualifying for U.S. citizenship. The requirement you are trying to overcome is the "continuous residency" requirement to be eligible for naturalization.

--Ray B

Sir,

It means that the time I will outside the US (re-entry permit 2 years) that time will not considered in 2 years and 9 months duration. I never understood the meanings of spending 18 months physically present in US out of 2 year and 9 months duration.

Dear Sir, can you please guide me regarding if I don't take re-entry permit now and visit US within 6 months till 2 years, then after 2 years I come to US and spend 18 months consecutive in order to complete naturalization period. Is it gonna work ? or I am mistaking due to lack of knowledge ?

Before applying to I-131 I want to figure out if any option because I really don't want to break my continuous residency.

Zain

Comment

Zain,

There is no "silver bullet" strategy to allow you to maximize your time outside the U.S. to handle family or business problems abroad while qualifying for U.S. citizenship. The requirement you are trying to overcome is the "continuous residency" requirement to be eligible for naturalization.

--Ray B
                  Sir,

I believe that there are no easy solutions of complicated problems. The reason I am willing to visit US every withing 6 months (which is not easy either). I just thought that visiting US before in every 6 months will not let down my continuous residency. This is difficult but I will pass my 2 years like this and after 2 years I can reside in US continously till 18 months in order to complete naturalization period.

Zain

Comment

5 years needed to apply for citizenship

To apply for Naturalization you want to live in the US for 5 years and Green Card Holder

After apply for Naturalization you want to wait for 6 months to receive the US Citizenship

Thanks

Robert Shapiro

Disclaimer

This is not a legal advise taking at your own risk

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X