Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my foreign divorce be recognised by CA law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my foreign divorce be recognised by CA law?

Hi,
    I need advise on my foreign divorce decree. I'm a non-US citizen married to a US citizen man in 2011 at a county in California. After we got married, we never reside in US and been domiciled since in my country (Indonesia), then in 2012 me and my husband separated and in 2015 the divorced was processed in my country. Now I want to terminate my marriage in California using my foreign divorce decree/certificate (from Indonesia) as I have plan to remarry another US citizen man. I received some information that my divorce certificate need to be authenticated by US embassy in my country after its being sworn translated into English. Then this divorce certificate could then be shown to the county office in US where i want to be remarried.
    I just want to make sure, could my foreign divorce certificate that is authenticated by US embassy can be used to terminate my marriage in California? Otherwise, what process should i need to have my foreign divorce recognised in the US?

Greatly appreciate to receive some information and advise as me and my fiance want to be married in few months.

Regards
    Sis

To marry in the U.S., you do not need proof of foreign divorces. But when you begin any new immigration procedure, you will need credible legal versions of your foreign divorce documents. Normally, foreign divorces do not need to be authenticated by a U.S. Embassy abroad, so long as the divorce documents meet the U.S. State Department descriptions of legal divorce documents ( go to: https://travel.state.gov/contenthttp...y-country.html

--Ray B

Originally posted by Sisela View Post
    Hi,
    I need advise on my foreign divorce decree. I'm a non-US citizen married to a US citizen man in 2011 at a county in California. After we got married, we never reside in US and been domiciled since in my country (Indonesia), then in 2012 me and my husband separated and in 2015 the divorced was processed in my country. Now I want to terminate my marriage in California using my foreign divorce decree/certificate (from Indonesia) as I have plan to remarry another US citizen man. I received some information that my divorce certificate need to be authenticated by US embassy in my country after its being sworn translated into English. Then this divorce certificate could then be shown to the county office in US where i want to be remarried.
    I just want to make sure, could my foreign divorce certificate that is authenticated by US embassy can be used to terminate my marriage in California? Otherwise, what process should i need to have my foreign divorce recognised in the US?

Greatly appreciate to receive some information and advise as me and my fiance want to be married in few months.

Regards
    Sis

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X