Sponsor for my dad's spouse from Laos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsor for my dad's spouse from Laos

My dad wants me to sponsor his spouse to come to California from Laos. I am leaning towards telling him no since I don't want to be liable for anything in the future if they decide to divorce. My dad lives with me. I make about $60k annually. He has no assets beside a truck that is all paid off and worth $25k and maybe about $5000 in savings and maybe another $5000 in pension. I don't know if he is on SSDI or SSI. He is 65 years old.

What are the pros and cons of sponsoring?

What have you all experience?

Is there another method to getting his spouse here besides me or someone else sponsoring?

Thank you

Sponsor for my dad's spouse from Laos

[QUOTE=Help Needed;455930]My dad wants me to sponsor his spouse to come to California from Laos. I am leaning towards telling him no since I don't want to be liable for anything in the future if they decide to divorce. My dad lives with me. I make about $60k annually. He has no assets beside a truck that is all paid off and worth $25k and maybe about $5000 in savings and maybe another $5000 in pension. I don't know if he is on SSDI or SSI. He is 65 years old.

What are the pros and cons of sponsoring?

What have you all experience?

Is there another method to getting his spouse here besides me or someone else sponsoring?

Thank you[/QUOTE

She has to have a sponsor and If you sponsor her, you have to sign an affidavit of support making you financially responsible for her. That is a lot to ask of anyone and I would caution against it. If your father has SSI, he may be able to sponsor her himself.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X