Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family (Marriage) Based Green Card Application - Concurrent Filing I-130 + I-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family (Marriage) Based Green Card Application - Concurrent Filing I-130 + I-485

Hi everybody!

My name is Juan, I am from Argentina and I want to share my experience with the hope of helping others that are going through this stressful process. I am there and I feel you

I used this website to prepare my Application and I couldn't have done it without it. I want to be as clear as possible and you can ask me as many questions as you need. Doing this was one (if not the most) of the most stressful things that I had to do in my life. It takes a long time of getting everything together, checking and double checking and getting the final letters from USCIS.

Background
    I met my awesome husband in 2014. We started dating on the third day and we were really happy until I had to go back to my home country, because my Tourist Visa was going to expire soon. I came back to visit him in October of 2015 and he proposed to me and I couldn't say no. That day was the happiest day of my life, but it was also the begging of the most stressful time in my life (as I said before).

Application
    Gather all the information may take a while, so the best thing to do is start getting all your documents as soon as you know you are going to do this. You DON'T need a lawyer to do it, trust me, I'm a lawyer in Argentina and I know for a fact that anybody can do this. You just need to pay close attention to every detail and be very patient.
    Read everything many times and be 200% sure that you understand every word.

Steps:
    1- The first thing then is to gather all your papers: -Birth Certificate (If it's not in English you need to translate it: https://www.immihelp.com/translation...s-immigration/),
    -Passport (Remember to renew it if it's going to expire in 6 months or earlier),
    -Vaccination Records (This is the most difficult document for some, like me, who had lost it. Don't panic, it's easier than you think. You can take all the documents that you can find with some vaccine that you have and show it to the doctor that is going to do the Form I-693. If you need to apply a vaccine you can go to Fred Meyer and apply it in the pharmacy for a really low price. https://www.immihelp.com/greencard-v...-requirements/).
    -Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Records. You can get it online https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent.html)

2- Download all the Forms from the USCIS website (https://www.uscis.gov/forms): -Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)
    -Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)
    -Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support)
    -Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization)
    -Form I-131 (Application for Travel Document)
    -Form G-325A and G-1145

3- Gather all other documents, fill the Forms and MAKE 2 COPIES OF EVERYTHING!!

Package Checklist
    1- Cover Letter (see mine below)

2- FORM I-130:
    2.1- Form G-1145
    2.2- Cover Letter
    2.3- Fee of $420 (Check or Money Order to "US Department of Homeland Security)
    2.4- Form I-130 with all supporting documents: -Copy of Birth Certificates of each of you
    -Copy of all pages of both Passports
    -Form I-94 of Immigrant
    -Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate
    2.5- Form G-325A US Citizen and Form G-325A Immigrant
    2.6- One Passport-Style photo of each placed in a small plastic bag and labeled (write the name on the back of the photo and on the bag)
    2.7- Proof of Bona Fide Marriage: -Joint Bank Accounts
    -Credit Cards
    -Joint Lease
    -Affidavits of the Relationship

3- FORM I-485:
    3.1- G-1145
    3.2- Cover Letter (see mine below)
    3.3- Fee of $1,070 (Check or Money Order to "US Department of Homeland Security)
    3.4- Form I-485 with all supporting documents: -Copy of Birth Certificates of the both of you
    -Copy of all pages of both Immigrant's Passport + Visa Stamps
    -Form I-94 of Immigrant
    3.5- Form G-325A US Citizen and Form G-325A Immigrant
    3.6- Two Passport-Style photos of Immigrant placed in a small plastic bag and labeled (write the name on the back of the photo and on the bag)

4- FORM I-693 (Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination) completed by a doctor (If you are in the US you can find one here https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor) and sealed.

5- FORM I-864 (VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! You have to send One for the US Citizen and, if needed, One for the Joint Sponsor),
    with all supporting documents: -Copy of Current and Prior Year of Tax Returns and W-2
    -Copy of bank statements
    -Letter of Employment (I didn't send this and it was ok)

6- FORM I-765 with all supporting documents: -Two Passport-Style photos of Immigrant placed in a small plastic bag and labeled (write the name on the back of the photo and on the bag)
    -Copy of Passport Biographic Data Page + Visa Stamp

7- FORM I-131

EXAMPLES OF THE COVER LETTERS THAT I SENT

PACKAGE COVER LETTER

Your Name and Address

To,
    United States Department of Homeland Security,
    U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
    P.O. Box 805887
    Chicago, IL 60680-4120

February 26, 2016
    Nature of Submission: Adjustment of Status Application for Juan X (last name),
    a national of Argentina.

To Whom It May Concern,

This package is an Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application (Form I-485) with a concurrent I-130 filing.

Mayor Contents:
    1. Form I-130 and supporting documents.
    2. Form I-485 and supporting documents, with Form I-693 and Form I-864.
    3. Form I-765.

If you have any questions or concerns on the above matter, please do not hesitate to contact me at (206) 890-7527, or at the address below.

Thank you very much for your attention to this matter.

Kind Regards,

Juan

FORM I-485 COVER LETTER

Your Name and Address

To,
    P.O. Box 805887
    Chicago, IL 60680-4120

February 26, 2016

Nature of Submission: Adjustment of Status Application for Juan X,
    a national of Argentina.

To Whom It May Concern,

Please find enclosed the following documents in support of my Adjustment Application. My eligibility is based on my condition of immediate relative (spouse) of a U.S. Citizen. Our marriage took place on 02/08/2016 in X.

Table of Contents:

1. Form G-1145.
    2. Filing Fee of $1.070 (Money Order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
    3. Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Ajust Status), signed by me (the applicant), along with the following supporting documents:
    - Copy of U.S. Citizen Birth Certificate,
    - Copy of U.S. Citizen Passport (biographic data page),
    - Copy of Applicant's Birth Certificate, translation and cerficate of translation,
    - Copy of Applicant's Passport (all pages) and Visa Stamp,
    - Copy of Applicant's I-94,
    - Certified Copy of the Marriage Certificate.
    4. Form G-325A U.S. Citizan.
    5. Form G-325A Applicant.
    6. Two (2) Passport-Style Photos of the Applicant (placed in a small bag, labeled with full name).
    7. Form I-693 (Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, completed by a Civil Surgeon and sealed in an envelope).
    8. Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support), signed by the sponsor along with the following supporting documents:
    - Copy of Sponsor's Passport (biographic data page),
    - Copy of Sponsor's Current and Prior year of Tax Returns,
    - Copy of Sponsor's Current and Prior year of W-2 Forms,
    - Copy of Sponsor's Letter of Employment,
    - Copy of Sponsor's Bank Statements.
    9. Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization), along with the following supporting documents:
    - Two (2) Passport-Style Photos of the Applicant (placed in a small bag, labeled with full name),
    - Copy of Applicant's Passport (biographic data page) and Visa Stamp,
    - Copy of Applicant's I-94.

If you have any questions or concerns on the above matter, please do not hesitate to contact me at (phone number) or at the address below.

Kind Regards,
    Juan

MY PROCESS

-03/05/16: Package Sent
    -03/07/16: Package Delivered
    -03/13/16: Text message: Case Received
    -03/14/16: Checks cashed
    -03/18/16: NOA (Not of Action) on the mail
    -04/02/16: ASC (Biometric Services) Appointment - online "Check My Status"
    -04/08/16: RFE (Request for Initial Evidence) - online
    -04/15/16: ASC Appointment Letter and RFE letter on mail
    -04/16/16: New Initial Evidence sent
    -04/18/16: Package delivered
    -04/19/16: Response was received - online
    -04/28/16: New Card being produced - online
    -05/12/16: Case ready for Interview - online
    -06/08/16: Card was mailed and Interview scheduled (July 14th) - online
    -06/10/16: EAD card and Interview Appointment Letter

I hope you find this helpful and you can ask me whatever you need. GOOD LUCK!!

Originally posted by juanimanzo View Post
    Hi everybody!

My name is Juan, I am from Argentina and I want to share my experience with the hope of helping others that are going through this stressful process. I am there and I feel you

I used this website to prepare my Application and I couldn't have done it without it. I want to be as clear as possible and you can ask me as many questions as you need. Doing this was one (if not the most) of the most stressful things that I had to do in my life. It takes a long time of getting everything together, checking and double checking and getting the final letters from USCIS.

Background
    I met my awesome husband in 2014. We started dating on the third day and we were really happy until I had to go back to my home country, because my Tourist Visa was going to expire soon. I came back to visit him in October of 2015 and he proposed to me and I couldn't say no. That day was the happiest day of my life, but it was also the begging of the most stressful time in my life (as I said before).

Application
    Gather all the information may take a while, so the best thing to do is start getting all your documents as soon as you know you are going to do this. You DON'T need a lawyer to do it, trust me, I'm a lawyer in Argentina and I know for a fact that anybody can do this. You just need to pay close attention to every detail and be very patient.
    Read everything many times and be 200% sure that you understand every word.

Steps:
    1- The first thing then is to gather all your papers: -Birth Certificate (If it's not in English you need to translate it: https://www.immihelp.com/translation...s-immigration/),
    -Passport (Remember to renew it if it's going to expire in 6 months or earlier),
    -Vaccination Records (This is the most difficult document for some, like me, who had lost it. Don't panic, it's easier than you think. You can take all the documents that you can find with some vaccine that you have and show it to the doctor that is going to do the Form I-693. If you need to apply a vaccine you can go to Fred Meyer and apply it in the pharmacy for a really low price. https://www.immihelp.com/greencard-v...-requirements/).
    -Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Records. You can get it online https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent.html)

2- Download all the Forms from the USCIS website (https://www.uscis.gov/forms): -Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)
    -Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)
    -Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support)
    -Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization)
    -Form I-131 (Application for Travel Document)
    -Form G-325A and G-1145

3- Gather all other documents, fill the Forms and MAKE 2 COPIES OF EVERYTHING!!

Package Checklist
    1- Cover Letter (see mine below)

2- FORM I-130:
    2.1- Form G-1145
    2.2- Cover Letter
    2.3- Fee of $420 (Check or Money Order to "US Department of Homeland Security)
    2.4- Form I-130 with all supporting documents: -Copy of Birth Certificates of each of you
    -Copy of all pages of both Passports
    -Form I-94 of Immigrant
    2.5- Form G-325A US Citizen and Form G-325A Immigrant
    2.6- One Passport-Style photo of each placed in a small plastic bag and labeled (write the name on the back of the photo and on the bag)
    2.7- Proof of Bona Fide Marriage: -Joint Bank Accounts
    -Credit Cards
    -Joint Lease
    -Affidavits of the Relationship

3- FORM I-485:
    3.1- G-1145
    3.2- Cover Letter (see mine below)
    3.3- Fee of $1,070 (Check or Money Order to "US Department of Homeland Security)
    3.4- Form I-485 with all supporting documents: -Copy of Birth Certificates of the both of you
    -Copy of all pages of both Immigrant's Passport + Visa Stamps
    -Form I-94 of Immigrant
    3.5- Form G-325A US Citizen and Form G-325A Immigrant
    3.6- Two Passport-Style photos of Immigrant placed in a small plastic bag and labeled (write the name on the back of the photo and on the bag)

4- FORM I-693 (Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination) completed by a doctor (If you are in the US you can find one here https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor) and sealed.

5- FORM I-864 (VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! You have to send One for the US Citizen and, if needed, One for the Joint Sponsor),
    with all supporting documents: -Copy of Current and Prior Year of Tax Returns and W-2
    -Copy of bank statements
    -Letter of Employment (I didn't send this and it was ok)

6- FORM I-765 with all supporting documents: -Two Passport-Style photos of Immigrant placed in a small plastic bag and labeled (write the name on the back of the photo and on the bag)
    -Copy of Passport Biographic Data Page + Visa Stamp

7- FORM I-131

EXAMPLES OF THE COVER LETTERS THAT I SENT

PACKAGE COVER LETTER

Your Name and Address

To,
    P.O. Box 805887
    Chicago, IL 60680-4120

February 26, 2016
    Nature of Submission: Adjustment of Status Application for Juan X (last name),
    a national of Argentina.

To Whom It May Concern,

This package is an Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application (Form I-485) with a concurrent I-130 filing.

Mayor Contents:
    1. Form I-130 and supporting documents.
    2. Form I-485 and supporting documents, with Form I-693 and Form I-864.
    3. Form I-765.

If you have any questions or concerns on the above matter, please do not hesitate to contact me at (206) 890-7527, or at the address below.

Kind Regards,

Juan

FORM I-485 COVER LETTER

Your Name and Address

To,
    P.O. Box 805887
    Chicago, IL 60680-4120

February 26, 2016

Nature of Submission: Adjustment of Status Application for Juan X,
    a national of Argentina.

To Whom It May Concern,

Please find enclosed the following documents in support of my Adjustment Application. My eligibility is based on my condition of immediate relative (spouse) of a U.S. Citizen. Our marriage took place on 02/08/2016 in X.

Table of Contents:

1. Form G-1145.
    2. Filing Fee of $1.070 (Money Order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
    3. Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Ajust Status), signed by me (the applicant), along with the following supporting documents:
    - Copy of U.S. Citizen Birth Certificate,
    - Copy of U.S. Citizen Passport (biographic data page),
    - Copy of Applicant's Birth Certificate, translation and cerficate of translation,
    - Copy of Applicant's Passport (all pages) and Visa Stamp,
    - Copy of Applicant's I-94,
    - Certified Copy of the Marriage Certificate.
    4. Form G-325A U.S. Citizan.
    5. Form G-325A Applicant.
    6. Two (2) Passport-Style Photos of the Applicant (placed in a small bag, labeled with full name).
    7. Form I-693 (Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, completed by a Civil Surgeon and sealed in an envelope).
    8. Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support), signed by the sponsor along with the following supporting documents:
    - Copy of Sponsor's Passport (biographic data page),
    - Copy of Sponsor's Current and Prior year of Tax Returns,
    - Copy of Sponsor's Current and Prior year of W-2 Forms,
    - Copy of Sponsor's Letter of Employment,
    - Copy of Sponsor's Bank Statements.
    9. Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization), along with the following supporting documents:
    - Two (2) Passport-Style Photos of the Applicant (placed in a small bag, labeled with full name),
    - Copy of Applicant's Passport (biographic data page) and Visa Stamp,
    - Copy of Applicant's I-94.

If you have any questions or concerns on the above matter, please do not hesitate to contact me at (phone number) or at the address below.

Kind Regards,
    Juan

MY PROCESS

-03/05/16: Package Sent
    -03/07/16: Package Delivered
    -03/13/16: Text message: Case Received
    -03/14/16: Checks cashed
    -03/18/16: NOA (Not of Action) on the mail
    -04/02/16: ASC (Biometric Services) Appointment - online "Check My Status"
    -04/08/16: RFE (Request for Initial Evidence) - online
    -04/15/16: ASC Appointment Letter and RFE letter on mail
    -04/16/16: New Initial Evidence sent
    -04/18/16: Package delivered
    -04/19/16: Response was received - online
    -04/28/16: New Card being produced - online
    -05/12/16: Case ready for Interview - online
    -06/08/16: Card was mailed and Interview scheduled (July 14th) - online
    -06/10/16: EAD card and Interview Appointment Letter

I hope you find this helpful and you can ask me whatever you need. GOOD LUCK!!
    i have 2 question
    1. how was the interview? what kind of questions did they ask
    2. what was the RFE for? tax?

Comment

hi juan what service center is this? I'm still waiting since november 2015 tx/ concurrent filling. tambien de Arg!!
      Last edited by mef; 06-22-2016, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iuy87 View Post
        i have 2 question
        1. how was the interview? what kind of questions did they ask
        2. what was the RFE for? tax?
        Hi!

1-We have the interview on July 14th, in 2 weeks. So I will post about it!
        2-The RFE was because I did not send the Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) from my husband! I only sent the joint sponsor's one.

Comment

Originally posted by mef View Post
          hi juan what service center is this? I'm still waiting since november 2015 tx/ concurrent filling. tambien de Arg!!
          Hi! It is the one in Lee's Summit, Missouri. I sent the package to the Chicago, IL office, because it was a concurrent filling. De qué parte de Arg sos?

Comment

My GC process

Hello
            I just applied for my GC earlier this year and I wanted to share my timeline with this thread for others. This was a huge help in understanding roughly how the timeline works so I thought I would add mine.

1/12/2016 All Documents mailed to USCIS
            1/14/2016 Documents delivered to USCIS
            1/22/2016 Text and email notification of USCIS acceptance confirmation
            1/25/2016 Check payment processed
            1/28/2016 Application receipt by mail
            2/06/2016 Biometrics appointment notice received
            2/18/2016 Biometrics scheduled and taken
            5/06/2016 Interview Notice received by mail
            6/10/2016 Interview scheduled at USCIS office.
            7/05/2016 Acceptance letter from USCIS
            7/07/2016 Received Green Card in the mail

I hope it helps! If anyone has any questions about my process, please feel free to message me.

Comment

thanks Juan ,

I am US citizen ( get nationality from my father ) but I have never lived in US , I didn't apply any taxes and Am not working, I live with my husband and daughter in Saudi Arabia I submit The I-130 for both (Daughter and Spouse ) and now moving to next step affidavit of support ,, can you help me with this step please ? because its very confused to me and the form I-864 very complicated . So, should be find a joint sponsor for us and what are the documents required from the sponsor ?
              second , I have to complete this form also ( as you mentioned) even if i am not working ? consider that I live outside and I read I can't fill this form when I am outside and I don't have any address in US ????

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed Gharib Rashed View Post
                thanks Juan ,

I am US citizen ( get nationality from my father ) but I have never lived in US , I didn't apply any taxes and Am not working, I live with my husband and daughter in Saudi Arabia I submit The I-130 for both (Daughter and Spouse ) and now moving to next step affidavit of support ,, can you help me with this step please ? because its very confused to me and the form I-864 very complicated . So, should be find a joint sponsor for us and what are the documents required from the sponsor ?
                second , I have to complete this form also ( as you mentioned) even if i am not working ? consider that I live outside and I read I can't fill this form when I am outside and I don't have any address in US ????

Hi Ahmed!
                I will do my best to help you! For what I know you have to be a US citizen and live in the US to be able to sponsor someone who is applying for a Change of Status. Do you know someone who is living here? Anyway you have to send one if you are going to be the petitioner for your Spouse and Daughter, but I am pretty sure you will need a joint sponsor with a US address. He will need to send another form I-864 with prior and current tax return form, W-2 forms and letter of employment.
                You can find the instructions to fill the I-864 in here https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...i-864instr.pdf . It seems more difficult than it actually is. Read carefully, specially the first part, because you as the petitioner have to select the option 1.a., and the joint sponsor 1.d.
                Let me know if this was helpful or you need more help! Good luck!!

Comment

Hi! It is the one in Lee's Summit, Missouri. I sent the package to the Chicago, IL office, because it was a concurrent filling. De qué parte de Arg sos?
                  Hi Juan,

Thanks for the info on this thread, you have been very helpful to me.

How was your interview? Do you mind sharing some of the questions they asked?

I submitted the concurrent filing as well and my center is in Missouri, just like you. I have been scheduled for the biometrics and I was wondering if this is the final hurdle before the invitation for interview.

Did you get your RFE before being scheduled for the biometrics or it came after the biometrics?

Thanks for all you do.

Comment

Originally posted by dracula View Post
                    Hi Juan,

Thanks for the info on this thread, you have been very helpful to me.

How was your interview? Do you mind sharing some of the questions they asked?

I submitted the concurrent filing as well and my center is in Missouri, just like you. I have been scheduled for the biometrics and I was wondering if this is the final hurdle before the invitation for interview.

Did you get your RFE before being scheduled for the biometrics or it came after the biometrics?

Thanks for all you do.

Hi! dracula? lol

You are very welcome! After doing this and suffer with stress for many months it's the least that I can do for those who are in the same path.

My biometrics and RFE letters came the same day! For me it was the last step before the interview, but I know that some people get two RFE.

The Interview was really really easy for me, so I don't know if I can be helpful. What I can say is that it's not scary. Officers in the Seattle office are very nice and polite and it only took 15 minutes.
                    They asked me when was the last time I entered the US and if I had left the country since then. Then they wanted to know how I met my husband and finally they asked the same questions than the Form I-485. I also told them that I was working since I got my EAD card and they asked me where and I showed the photo album. That was it. I got the approve notice later that day.
                    I think that the main reason for my approval is that my father in law was my joint sponsor. So I would recommend people to have a trustful joint sponsor, not only the petitioner.

I wish the best of lucks!

Comment

Hi! dracula? lol

You are very welcome! After doing this and suffer with stress for many months it's the least that I can do for those who are in the same path.

My biometrics and RFE letters came the same day! For me it was the last step before the interview, but I know that some people get two RFE.

The Interview was really really easy for me, so I don't know if I can be helpful. What I can say is that it's not scary. Officers in the Seattle office are very nice and polite and it only took 15 minutes.
                      They asked me when was the last time I entered the US and if I had left the country since then. Then they wanted to know how I met my husband and finally they asked the same questions than the Form I-485. I also told them that I was working since I got my EAD card and they asked me where and I showed the photo album. That was it. I got the approve notice later that day.
                      I think that the main reason for my approval is that my father in law was my joint sponsor. So I would recommend people to have a trustful joint sponsor, not only the petitioner.

I wish the best of lucks!
                      Yes, Dracula. Lol.

Thanks for the detailed info. I wish you all the best

Comment

Juan,
                        Much appreciate you detailing all your steps. I would like to see if you can clarify a couple of points for me please:

1) Did you file your I-130 and the I-485 concurrently? I am trying to see if that is possible, but haven't found a definite answer. If you did file concurrently - did you just put all the docs/forms in one envelope?

2) FORM I-765 - I am already in the U.S. with a current H1B...I am unsure if this is necessary for me. My fionce/soon to be wife is a U.S. Citizen. When you filed this, did you not include a separate filing fee for this?

3) FORM I-131 - Same with this, doesn't the Green Card acceptance give you travel privileges? Why do you need this?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rezamohamed View Post
                          Juan,
                          Much appreciate you detailing all your steps. I would like to see if you can clarify a couple of points for me please:

1) Did you file your I-130 and the I-485 concurrently? I am trying to see if that is possible, but haven't found a definite answer. If you did file concurrently - did you just put all the docs/forms in one envelope?

2) FORM I-765 - I am already in the U.S. with a current H1B...I am unsure if this is necessary for me. My fionce/soon to be wife is a U.S. Citizen. When you filed this, did you not include a separate filing fee for this?

3) FORM I-131 - Same with this, doesn't the Green Card acceptance give you travel privileges? Why do you need this?

Thanks!
                          Hi! Thank you for you comment, I tried to do my best. It's a very stressful process.

1. I did the concurrent filling. So I placed all the forms with the documents in the same package (envelope). I used one in the USPS office.

2. For what I know the H1B visa allows you to be employed only by the company that sponsored you in the application. If you are planning to stay there no need for a I-765. But I would do it just in case. And there is no fee.

3. The Green Card does give travel privileges, when is granted. So while the application is in process you need the I-131 if you are planning to leave the country. Sometimes it takes a long time to receive an answer from USCIS, so that depends entirely on you.

I hope I was clear. Let me know if you have more questions! I wish you the best of luck!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X