Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Confused - when to start TN job : wife expecting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Confused - when to start TN job : wife expecting.

Hello All, tried searching this but still confused.

Just got an offer for TN employment, starting end of next month.
    Wife, is expecting and due end of Sept. We both have full time jobs in Ontario.

Question is:

Option1: Both move now and have the child in US. We really don't want to be apart at this time. We do not have immediate families in Canada, so its better we stay close during the final months.
    Q: If move 2 months early- Will wife still get her Maternity Benefits - EI ?
    Q: Can she resign from work before delivery. Will this go against her for EI benefits?

Option2: Move my employment to another *** month. Have her mom, fly in to help out. I will try best to Telecommute as much. Have baby in Canada, start her EI, and take wife + baby to States, of course when they are ready to travel (again have to plan this). Not sure how long it takes to get the new passport for the newborn- have to account that too.

From what I am reading, wife will get EI regardless- as she's completed the required hours to be eligible...?.. And finally, sort of weighing in the benefits of giving child dual citizenship, but that's only beneficial when he/she goes to school I guess.

Very confused , Looking for input on what would you do, if in my shoes?

thanks in advance, have a nice day

By now, you will have a baby.

It is EXPENSIVE to get American Citiizenship for your baby. It's best to have the baby in the US, then apply for Canadian Citizenship (only 75 bucks vs to 500+ for american citizenship.

But again, if your wife has a baby in the US, it may cost more because depending if you have medical benefits, you may have to pay up to 500, if no insurance, up to 10K for the birth. While it's covered in Canada.

As for EI, it depends on its policy. I recall if you go on a vacation or somewhere, you are not eligible to get EI benefits. But again, I may be wrong.

By now, this post probably is moot since this post was made a year ago and by now, you will have a baby and are settled down.

topazfae

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X