Confused about the k1 visa process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about the k1 visa process

I am from the uk and my gf lives in the U.S.A we wish to get married over there but can I get engaged too her before I apply for the K1 visa ? As I am visiting this summer and wish to propose to her then also is it best to get a immigration lawyer for this as there seems to be a lot of paperwork?

It's not a lot of paperwork, 2 forms for your babe to fill out (I-129F and G-325A) and one form for you (G-325A), plus "Statement of Intent to Marry" from each of you.

You must also add evidence of meeting in person and the $340 (US) fee.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Ryan Heald View Post
    I am from the uk and my gf lives in the U.S.A we wish to get married over there but can I get engaged too her before I apply for the K1 visa ? As I am visiting this summer and wish to propose to her then also is it best to get a immigration lawyer for this as there seems to be a lot of paperwork?

Comment

to add to what Rayb has correctly stated: you technically don't even need to be engaged before filing the I-129F. IF you can show proof that you've personally met in the last 2 years, then that's one of the requirements of eligibility. Besides that, you show your intent to actually get married (via the letter of "intent to marry").
      --Good luck--
      Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

Engaged while on vacation

Hi,

If a fiance(e) enters the US on a tourist visa and gets engaged, can we apply for the B1 visa in the US immediately or should we wait for the visitor to leave the country before applying?

Comment

You asked if you can apply for a B1 visa in the U.S. while she is here. The answer is "no," because she will already be here on a B1/B2 visa.

If you apply for a K1 visa, she will have to be processed in her home country for the visa.

--Ray B

Originally posted by eevee View Post
          Hi,

If a fiance(e) enters the US on a tourist visa and gets engaged, can we apply for the B1 visa in the US immediately or should we wait for the visitor to leave the country before applying?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
            You asked if you can apply for a B1 visa in the U.S. while she is here. The answer is "no," because she will already be here on a B1/B2 visa.

If you apply for a K1 visa, she will have to be processed in her home country for the visa.

--Ray B
            Oops! Pardon the typo. I meant to ask about the K1 visa. Thanks for getting back so quickly.
            Last edited by eevee; 07-21-2016, 04:52 PM.

Comment

The USC can petition the UK fiance for a K-1 right after the engagement\proposal. The UK fiance returns home and awaits the fiance visa interview in the UK.

Comment

K1 vs K3

Originally posted by daggit View Post
                The USC can petition the UK fiance for a K-1 right after the engagement\proposal. The UK fiance returns home and awaits the fiance visa interview in the UK.
                Hi Daggit,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I need your advice.

I'm from Singapore (a VWP country) and my bf is a USC. I really don't mean to hijack this thread but a new thread that I tried to start hasn't been approved (not sure if it will be).

We've been studying this chart (https://www.immihelp.com/usa-visas/k...rant-visa.html) to decide between a K1 / K3 visa route. A friend told us that K3 might potentially be faster since marriages in Singapore are recognized in the US.

I have a more flexible travel schedule vs my bf's and we're trying to find the quickest way to be together again since the wait for K1 is about 6 - 12 months and I'm not allowed to visit the US while the K1 is being processed. Hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

There are no K3 visas anymore. If you marry abroad, youi must first apply for a CR-1 visa with form I-130. You can then followup with a K3 petition (I-129F), but USCIS does not follow through with moving a K3 application to the State Department if the I-130 has been approved.

--Ray B

Hi Daggit,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I need your advice.

I'm from Singapore (a VWP country) and my bf is a USC. I really don't mean to hijack this thread but a new thread that I tried to start hasn't been approved (not sure if it will be).

We've been studying this chart (https://www.immihelp.com/usa-visas/k...rant-visa.html) to decide between a K1 / K3 visa route. A friend told us that K3 might potentially be faster since marriages in Singapore are recognized in the US.

I have a more flexible travel schedule vs my bf's and we're trying to find the quickest way to be together again since the wait for K1 is about 6 - 12 months and I'm not allowed to visit the US while the K1 is being processed. Hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
                    There are no K3 visas anymore. If you marry abroad, youi must first apply for a CR-1 visa with form I-130. You can then followup with a K3 petition (I-129F), but USCIS does not follow through with moving a K3 application to the State Department if the I-130 has been approved.

--Ray B
                    Thanks, Ray. I guess the K1 is prob still the quickest option then.

This site doesn't even give a timeframe: https://travel.state.gov/contenthttp...lative.html#13
                    Last edited by eevee; 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Timeframes vary, but a K1 is averaging 6 months from submittal of paperwork to visa interview.

--Ray B

Thanks, Ray. I guess the K1 is prob still the quickest option then.

This site doesn't even give a timeframe: https://travel.state.gov/contenthttp...lative.html#13

Comment

I confused you with the OP (who posted as a UK national). Please do not hijack threads!

As others have noted, K3 is practically obsolete. Viable alternatives are K1 as a fiance, visa interview in ~6 mos, or CR1 if married, GC interview in ~12mos.

Comment

Originally posted by daggit View Post
                          I confused you with the OP (who posted as a UK national). Please do not hijack threads!

As others have noted, K3 is practically obsolete. Viable alternatives are K1 as a fiance, visa interview in ~6 mos, or CR1 if married, GC interview in ~12mos.
                          Thanks, daggit & Ray. Won't be jacking threads next time.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X