Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-94 Expired - Help me

Please help me in fixing the below issue,

I entered USA (first time) on H1B with Employer - A (with visa stamped on passport by US consulate in Home country-INDIA), changed to Employer B while you are in USA (No visa stamped as of now). New H1B was approved and I received new I-797 with I-94 valid till 11 Nov 2016. Aug 2015 I visited my home country. While coming back, I have presented my new employer's (Employer B) I-797 at Port of Enter (POE) in USA. They gave me I-94 that was valid till 10 OCT 2015 - same as the validity date of Employer-A's Visa. I did not notice about it. I closed my passport and re-opened it just few days back to apply for my I-797 extension (issued by Employer B). I sent copy of I-94 to my Employer B's attorney and he was shocked to see the date on it set to OCT 10, 2015. He says I have overstayed for 8 months and am in real trouble.
    However, I still have the I-94 that I received with new employer's I-797A.

Due to a family emergency, as my father passed away, I came to India (home) country. Now I would like to know as my visa expired on Sept 2015 as well as my I-94 (as per my attorney), shall I go ahead with my extension of H1B and get a new H1B to attend the visa consulate process (Dropbox system, as I am eligible it showed after I filled up the DS160 with current details). Or since my current I-797 which is still valid until Nov 11 2016, should I go and attend the visa consulate process.

I-94 expired

Originally posted by aceidol View Post
    Please help me in fixing the below issue,

I entered USA (first time) on H1B with Employer - A (with visa stamped on passport by US consulate in Home country-INDIA), changed to Employer B while you are in USA (No visa stamped as of now). New H1B was approved and I received new I-797 with I-94 valid till 11 Nov 2016. Aug 2015 I visited my home country. While coming back, I have presented my new employer's (Employer B) I-797 at Port of Enter (POE) in USA. They gave me I-94 that was valid till 10 OCT 2015 - same as the validity date of Employer-A's Visa. I did not notice about it. I closed my passport and re-opened it just few days back to apply for my I-797 extension (issued by Employer B). I sent copy of I-94 to my Employer B's attorney and he was shocked to see the date on it set to OCT 10, 2015. He says I have overstayed for 8 months and am in real trouble.
    However, I still have the I-94 that I received with new employer's I-797A.

Due to a family emergency, as my father passed away, I came to India (home) country. Now I would like to know as my visa expired on Sept 2015 as well as my I-94 (as per my attorney), shall I go ahead with my extension of H1B and get a new H1B to attend the visa consulate process (Dropbox system, as I am eligible it showed after I filled up the DS160 with current details). Or since my current I-797 which is still valid until Nov 11 2016, should I go and attend the visa consulate process.
    I think I am in exact similar situation, with similar dates. Curious to know any action you have taken or the advises you have sought.
    I am up for a chat/call.

Comment

Overstay, incorrect dates

I would go ahead with your extension with an explanation of what happened. In situations where CBP limits peoples I-94 is a common problem and USCIS and the consulate can understand the mistake and they will normally overlook such circumstances hopefully. Its their fault and not yours by any means. Let your company pay for the extension, it's technically your company's fault that there did not check your papers to begin with.
      Last edited by mindrd; 07-22-2016, 10:07 PM.
      This is purely my opinion and does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X