Advice needed about my Phillipines Girlfriend here on a J1 visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed about my Phillipines Girlfriend here on a J1 visa

Hi, I really need some advice about what to do. My girlfriend is here in Texas on a J1 visa from the Philippines. I believe she's exempt from the cultural home-stay, but I need to check the rest of her documentation to be sure. If I married her now before she leaves, from what I understand, she would be able to stay here as long as she doesn't have to do the cultural home-stay. Otherwise, she would need to file for a waiver on the J1. However, even if that all worked, the travel agency she used for her J1 made all of the students sign a notarized document that makes their family responsible for 2 million pesos (about 45k USD.. sounds like a scam, but her signature is on it and its notarized) if they don't return to the Philippines upon completion of the J1 program. So, it sounds like she is being forced to return regardless of what we do, unless we want to be held responsible for a ridiculous amount of money.

So, what is the best way to get her back here to the US, quickly and at the least risk. And, if we used a lawyer to help us, should we seek counsel from an immigration lawyer here in the US, or find someone who specializes in Fiance or Spousal visa there in the Philippines? We met with a couple, that we don't know, and they are telling us that the best and only option is the fiance visa, and that we should utilize a specific lawyer in Manila to help her get through the process. Both of us are feeling some pressure to make a decision before she returns home. We met here, through my best friend's wife, and we're hearing different things from different people, and neither of us know what is the best thing to do.

If anyone has any advice for us it would be so greatly appreciated. We are investigating the fiance visa, but have no idea where to start or if it is the best option. Thank you so much for reading and for your replies. We are terrified that we might not see each other again here in the US for years.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X