Confused about a fiance visa status.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about a fiance visa status.

You know the obvious stuff: fell in love, decided to get married.

At the time my fiance was living in the UK. One of the first things we thought was we can get married in the US. So I (a US citizen) filed for a fiance visa in February. But then later on, when it came to the cost of the wedding, I realized I couldn't afford a wedding here in the US. So since we were both of Indian descent have a lot of families back in India we decided to get married in a church there, which was more of an affordable option for both of us. So when this decision came about I sent a letter (twice) to the California Service center where our visa was being processed at the time, indicating that we wish to withdraw the fiance visa because technically we will no longer be eligible, since we are getting married in India.

Time went on, I received a letter from USCIS saying that the fiance visa is now approved and my fiance who is currently in India right now received a letter for the fiance visa interview. So now we are confused about what to do?

1. Can we just go forward with the fiance visa, then have just the church wedding without registering the wedding with the state in India and instead come here, to the US and get a court marriage? Is that illegal?

2. My fiance currently has a US visiting visa (which he applied and received in June to come for one of our common friend's wedding), does he have to surrender the visiting visa when/if he receives the fiance visa?

Originally posted by Emkay View Post
    we decided to get married in a church there, .

my fiance who is currently in India right now
    Contradictory.

Comment

Originally posted by daggit View Post
      Contradictory.
      The "there" I meant was India. My fiance was working a contract job in the UK, he finished his term and went to India two weeks ago. I am not sure if I understand the contradictory part.

Comment

My post referred to the conflicting statements about your current marital status. Are you guys married.. as reflected in 'we decided to get married in a church'? If so, he is no longer a fiance.

Comment

The fiance visa is meant for the foreign fiance to come to the US to get married. If you get married elsewhere, your void the K1 visa and must start with the spousal instead. Message me if you need further clarifications.
          Good luck
          --Good luck--
          Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X