Fastest way of bringing foreign spouse of UC citizen in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest way of bringing foreign spouse of UC citizen in USA

Hi, I'm getting married this December. I'm US citizen and my fiance is a foreign national (Bangladesh). We are getting married aborad.
    I am researching about CR1 visa and it seems like if we go through the regular process, it'll take at leasat 9 months before she can get a visa and finally move here.
    This waiting period is way too long and I'm trying to figure out if there is any other alternative.

I should note that my fiance left USA few months ago after finishing up her Masters. Her student visa (F1) will expire on 2019. However I guess she will need a new I-20 to enter USA again as she left without taking OPT.

Here are the options I've now so far...

- Student visa: She can try to get admission in a graduate program program starting from summer 2017 or spring 2017.
    - Visit visa: We are planning to apply for visit visa just after getting married. But I guess it's highly unlikely that her visa application will be approved. So, I'm not counting on that.

Till now I think the first option is the best. I've one concern though. Will it be an issue if she wants to enter USA again with F1 status while I-130 is in process? I don't know much about student visa. I'm assuming that she will need a new I-20 from school as her F1 visa didn't expire yet. So, she doesn't need to face any visa interview - just need to face the immigration officer in point of entry.

Existing F visa is considered expired as she's no longer in student status. The appropriate option is to file CR-1 spousal visa after the wedding and await consular processing in B'desh. Takes 9-10 months, and is the legal way to go about it, as most others all over the world do. To use an F or B visa to circumvent the wait is not a recommended alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by daggit View Post
      Existing F visa is considered expired as she's no longer in student status. The appropriate option is to file CR-1 spousal visa after the wedding and await consular processing in B'desh. Takes 9-10 months, and is the legal way to go about it, as most others all over the world do. To use an F or B visa to circumvent the wait is not a recommended alternative.
      Thanks for your reply. I udnerstand your point. My fiance wants to continue her studies and I don't see any harm if she wants to join a grad school while the CR1 visa application is in process by NVC/USCIS.

Comment

Hey Bud

Im in a similar position. And from my guess its seem i-130 is your first option followed by a k-3 visa. but some people say that k-3 takes just as long as i-130 so no point.

The other alternative is that you reach out to your senator and have them expedite your request based on one of the uscis expedition clause.

Then there is lastly one more option and that is and im not sure if it still exists but apparently if you stayed in india for a few months then they maybe able to have you leave with her on the way back. i know this was an option before but i dont know if it is now. (i hope it is)

there is supposedly another loop hole that i dont advise.
        visitor visa or i guess in you case student visa and then change status here by showing that you got married here, etc, etc. not sure how it would work out but a very risky option.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X