Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting married after entering the US on a B1/B2

HI,

I know this has probably been asked before. But, I wanted to present my specific case so that I could receive feedback/advice from some of the seasoned members of the community.

So, here's my story. I came to the US on June 10th, 2016 to attend my cousin's wedding (June 23rd). Initially, I planned a 3 week trip, and that's what I told the CBP at the POE. During the celebrations (brown weddings run for a while), my uncle and aunt introduced me to a girl. They 'thought' we were a perfect match and was setting me up for marriage, but I wasn't aware of that fact. Anyways, we started talking, met up a few times, and took a trip out West together. Long story short - we fell in love. As our meeting was mostly arranged, our parents want us to get married as soon as possible. I know this is extremely quick, but it's not rare in my culture for people to get married just after a few meetings (my parents got married after two meetings).

I thought the best course of action would be for me to go back, and my fiance(e) to make a petition for the K1 visa. However, I had an interesting conversation with my soon-to-be brother-in-law who considers himself as quite an expert in this area (I have my doubts). He told me that since I had no intention of getting married when I entered the US, and since our marriage will be entered in good faith - I should be able to apply for an AOS.

So what do you guys think? Any tips or past experiences? A bit more background info - I live and work in Vancouver, BC (Canada); however, I am not a Canadian citizen. I entered on a B1/B2 so I can stay in the US for 6 months before becoming out of status. I'm officially still employed at my current company so I have to make a decision very soon.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Getting married after entering the US on a B1/B2

Originally posted by tms View Post
    HI,

I know this has probably been asked before. But, I wanted to present my specific case so that I could receive feedback/advice from some of the seasoned members of the community.

So, here's my story. I came to the US on June 10th, 2016 to attend my cousin's wedding (June 23rd). Initially, I planned a 3 week trip, and that's what I told the CBP at the POE. During the celebrations (brown weddings run for a while), my uncle and aunt introduced me to a girl. They 'thought' we were a perfect match and was setting me up for marriage, but I wasn't aware of that fact. Anyways, we started talking, met up a few times, and took a trip out West together. Long story short - we fell in love. As our meeting was mostly arranged, our parents want us to get married as soon as possible. I know this is extremely quick, but it's not rare in my culture for people to get married just after a few meetings (my parents got married after two meetings).

I thought the best course of action would be for me to go back, and my fiance(e) to make a petition for the K1 visa. However, I had an interesting conversation with my soon-to-be brother-in-law who considers himself as quite an expert in this area (I have my doubts). He told me that since I had no intention of getting married when I entered the US, and since our marriage will be entered in good faith - I should be able to apply for an AOS.

So what do you guys think? Any tips or past experiences? A bit more background info - I live and work in Vancouver, BC (Canada); however, I am not a Canadian citizen. I entered on a B1/B2 so I can stay in the US for 6 months before becoming out of status. I'm officially still employed at my current company so I have to make a decision very soon.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    You are correct. The best course of action is for you to go back and your fiance file a petition for the K1. What your soon to be brother-in-law is suggesting is illegal. Do people do it all the time? Yes. So it really just comes down to right from wrong. Now you know which is which in this scenario and the decision is yours.

Good Luck to you,

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X