Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the right thing to do?

Hi
    Just looking for some advice on my situation. I have a green card by marriage since 2008, have been out of the US since 2010, took two re-entry permits, the last of which expired in Dec 2015.

My husband and I won't be moving back to the US for now and it feels impossible to maintain the GC since I've already done two re-entry permits.

Now I need to go to the US for a week in October for a family event. Should I surrender the green card, then apply for B1? Or is there some other avenue to visit the US?

Thoughts?

Originally posted by winterapples View Post
    Hi
    Just looking for some advice on my situation. I have a green card by marriage since 2008, have been out of the US since 2010, took two re-entry permits, the last of which expired in Dec 2015.

My husband and I won't be moving back to the US for now and it feels impossible to maintain the GC since I've already done two re-entry permits.

Now I need to go to the US for a week in October for a family event. Should I surrender the green card, then apply for B1? Or is there some other avenue to visit the US?

Thoughts?
    If you are a lawful permanent resident (green card holder), you may leave the U.S. multiple times and reenter, as long as you do not intend to stay outside the U.S. for 1 year or more. To apply for a re-entry permit, you must file an Application for a Travel Document (I-131) with the USCIS.
    If you stayed away from the US for more than a year CBP will take your green card. There is no way out of this as CBP has automated I-94 history on you.

Comment

Originally posted by winterapples View Post

Now I need to go to the US for a week in October for a family event. Should I surrender the green card, then apply for B1? Or is there some other avenue to visit the
      Formally surrender the green card (which may be already be considered abandoned).. and apply for a B visa.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Gruber View Post
        If you are a lawful permanent resident (green card holder), you may leave the U.S. multiple times and reenter, as long as you do not intend to stay outside the U.S. for 1 year or more. To apply for a re-entry permit, you must file an Application for a Travel Document (I-131) with the USCIS.
        If you stayed away from the US for more than a year CBP will take your green card. There is no way out of this as CBP has automated I-94 history on you.
        I had a reentry permit valid till December 2015, however, so I've not been out for six to eight months beyond permitted time.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X