Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engaged to an American - No idea what the steps are!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engaged to an American - No idea what the steps are!

Hi All,

I am a Canadian and my fiance is American. We are in the process of deciding what to do but I'm totally overwhelmed and confused.

I've read that you can apply for a k-1 visa with I believe needs to be submitted by the American person. After submitting it you get 90 days to get married but the process could take anywhere from 6-?? months to process so you can't really plan a wedding. Or that's what I've heard.

When you apply do you need to have a set address to apply to? My fiance lives with his parents but we want to move out when we can be together. Would he need to move out and be living at the address that's going to be on the paperwork before we start submitting? Or what happens if he needs to move during the process or shortly after I arrive?

What happens after we get married? I see things about a green card but I'm not really sure what that means. I know if we were moving to Canada he would need to apply to become a permanent resident and that allows him to work. Is the green card the thing needed to work? And is it by lottery or is it something I could apply for and expect to get in a timely manner?

Please point me in the right direction if I'm posting in the totally wrong location, I'm new here.

Bump

Comment

You have two choices to start this process:

1. Marry and your husband submits an I-130 for a spousal visa, unless you are currently in the U.S. legally, and he then submits the I-485 Adjustment package with the I-130.
      2. Or your fiancee submits form I-129F for a fiancee visa, which takes 6 months to process before you get the visa while in Canada.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Rinner View Post
      Hi All,

I am a Canadian and my fiance is American. We are in the process of deciding what to do but I'm totally overwhelmed and confused.

I've read that you can apply for a k-1 visa with I believe needs to be submitted by the American person. After submitting it you get 90 days to get married but the process could take anywhere from 6-?? months to process so you can't really plan a wedding. Or that's what I've heard.

When you apply do you need to have a set address to apply to? My fiance lives with his parents but we want to move out when we can be together. Would he need to move out and be living at the address that's going to be on the paperwork before we start submitting? Or what happens if he needs to move during the process or shortly after I arrive?

What happens after we get married? I see things about a green card but I'm not really sure what that means. I know if we were moving to Canada he would need to apply to become a permanent resident and that allows him to work. Is the green card the thing needed to work? And is it by lottery or is it something I could apply for and expect to get in a timely manner?

Please point me in the right direction if I'm posting in the totally wrong location, I'm new here.

Comment

So he needs to file a k1 visa for you inorder for you to get the visa. it will take like 6months processing but in between that, he needs to send all requirements needed and you as well. after 6months you get a letter about your interview if you passed. after interview then wait for visa then come here THATS THE TIME YOU NEED TO GET MARRIED here in US WITHIN 90DAYS OF YOUR STAY HERE.

He can just use his parents address when he files. when you move later on it doesnt matter. if he already moved before you arrive and you already processed the petition, he can just send the NVC the change of address. but in our case before, my fiance just used his parents address when he filed because thats where he lived in.

What happens after we get married? you can already file your green card or lawful permanent residence, it means you can go home in your country anytime.

Please point me in the right direction if I'm posting in the totally wrong location, I'm new here.[/QUOTE]

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X