Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling international with almost expired green card

Hello,

My wife is going to travel Dubai and India in December via two schegan countries (Denmark/Germany) - she is not entering the two EU countries - just transiting.

She is a green card holder and Kenyan citizen

She will need just Airport transit Visa for EU - correct?
    She will need Dubai Visa
    She will need Indian Visa

Our travel dates are:

December 19 --> EU (Just transit)
    December 20-28 --> Dubai
    December 28 - Jan 19 --> India

Her passport doesn't expire until 2022 which is great but my concern is her green card expires in March 15, 2017 -- Will there be any issues with Visa's/entering/exiting the above countries?

I cannot apply for renewing green card before 90 days - so i will have to wait for us to come back before i can process that.

Thanks for any help!!

If your wife's card was a 2-year card, you are correct that you cannot submit "Removal of Conditions" documents until she is within 90 days of expiration. After submittal of the "Removal of Conditions" application, she will get a receipt letter with a one-year extension of her conditional Green Cards status. But during her waiting period, she will have a Biometrics appointment, and probably an interview at a USCIS office. She cannot miss these appointments.

But if your wife's card is a 10-year card, you may apply for a new card using form I-90, and you can send the I-90 in the six-month period before expiration of her existing card.

--Ray B

Originally posted by poisonsag View Post
    Hello,

My wife is going to travel Dubai and India in December via two schegan countries (Denmark/Germany) - she is not entering the two EU countries - just transiting.

She is a green card holder and Kenyan citizen

She will need just Airport transit Visa for EU - correct?
    She will need Dubai Visa
    She will need Indian Visa

Our travel dates are:

December 19 --> EU (Just transit)
    December 20-28 --> Dubai
    December 28 - Jan 19 --> India

Her passport doesn't expire until 2022 which is great but my concern is her green card expires in March 15, 2017 -- Will there be any issues with Visa's/entering/exiting the above countries?

I cannot apply for renewing green card before 90 days - so i will have to wait for us to come back before i can process that.

Thanks for any help!!

Comment

Ray,
      Thank you for replying back.

She has the 2 year card at the moment - so i will be applying to renew her card once i am back from India in January.

For now i just want to make sure she will not have any issues with visa for Transit in EU, Dubai, and India for our trip in December-Jan - can you please comment on this?

Again our trip is from Dec 19, 2016 - Jan 19, 2017 and her GC expires in Mid March 2017

Thanks!!

Comment

So long as her passport has more than six-months validity, she is okay for travelling. If she is back before her Green Card expires, she is okay for reentering the U.S.

--Ray B

Originally posted by poisonsag View Post
        Ray,
        Thank you for replying back.

She has the 2 year card at the moment - so i will be applying to renew her card once i am back from India in January.

For now i just want to make sure she will not have any issues with visa for Transit in EU, Dubai, and India for our trip in December-Jan - can you please comment on this?

Again our trip is from Dec 19, 2016 - Jan 19, 2017 and her GC expires in Mid March 2017

Thanks!!

Comment

Ray,
          Thank you for the confirmation! That is a big relief!

Appreciate the help here!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X