Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My O1 Visa Interview experience

I am sharing my O1 visa interview experience
    I am PhD and have my O1 petition approved. My interview went for around 20 min and at the end I got yellow 221g. I had received this 221g when I had applied for B1B2 as well.
    At interview counter officer asked for Passport and I 797.
    Question:
    Are you applying in O1
    What you do in your present job
    What is your highest qualification
    Why you not applying in H1B, why O1
    Why are you going US
    When are you going
    Where will you be staying
    Is this your first work visa
    Who all are going with you
    Is your wife planning to work
    He was all busy on his computer and was asking question once in a while, at this point he pulled yellow form (g221) that gave me indication.
    then he asked my wife
    What you work in present job
    Further question on her job detail
    He then wend inside and came back in few min and asked if I have copy of my resume, I handed it over to him, He then asked for copy of job offer, then he asked for DS 160 for all of us. Then is again asked my joining date & told me I wont able join on this date as they have to go through administrative process and apologized. He seems like a good guy. he said process will take 3-4 weeks.

Only thing I regret is my answer to question - why not H1B and why O1- I didn`t elaborated on why I am qualified for O1 and I just said my employer suggested to go for O1. That`s my mistake, however, I had received 221g when I was still a PhD student and had applied for visitor visa, so even if I would have answer the why O1, I might have got g221.

Surprising thing is when I checked my case status, in details of applicants, in Action Tracking Track History- it says `-This applicant has no history 221g, however, I have received it in 2013. I am planning to email consulate and bring it to their attention.I think this might help tp speed up the process as they gave gone through it before so they may not have to go through all the background etc. Any comment, suggestion on this É
    Last edited by Alfa16; 08-17-2016, 12:04 AM.

I have a quick question, I just realized that I have not mentioned about 221g that I received when I had applied to b1b2 visa, I had got my b1/b2 eventually, are we supposed to mention it in DS 160 ?
    There is question in DS 160 - Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa? I didn't mention it. What should I do in this case ? do I contact US consulate & inform them ? Would this have any impact on my visa process ? And would it help in any way to my current visa application ?

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa16 View Post
      I am sharing my O1 visa interview experience
      I am PhD and have my O1 petition approved. My interview went for around 20 min and at the end I got yellow 221g. I had received this 221g when I had applied for B1B2 as well.
      At interview counter officer asked for Passport and I 797.
      Question:
      Are you applying in O1
      What you do in your present job
      Why you not applying in H1B, why O1
      Why are you going US
      When are you going
      Where will you be staying
      Is this your first work visa
      Who all are going with you
      Is your wife planning to work
      He was all busy on his computer and was asking question once in a while, at this point he pulled yellow form (g221) that gave me indication.
      then he asked my wife
      What you work in present job
      Further question on her job detail
      He then wend inside and came back in few min and asked if I have copy of my resume, I handed it over to him, He then asked for copy of job offer, then he asked for DS 160 for all of us. Then is again asked my joining date & told me I wont able join on this date as they have to go through administrative process and apologized. He seems like a good guy. he said process will take 3-4 weeks.

Only thing I regret is my answer to question - why not H1B and why O1- I didn`t elaborated on why I am qualified for O1 and I just said my employer suggested to go for O1. That`s my mistake, however, I had received 221g when I was still a PhD student and had applied for visitor visa, so even if I would have answer the why O1, I might have got g221.

Surprising thing is when I checked my case status, in details of applicants, in Action Tracking Track History- it says `-This applicant has no history 221g, however, I have received it in 2013. I am planning to email consulate and bring it to their attention.I think this might help tp speed up the process as they gave gone through it before so they may not have to go through all the background etc. Any comment, suggestion on this É
      Hi Alfa16, I am wondering how this turned out? Thank you

Comment

I agree with thing you wrote about O visa requirements. But it's still complicated and needs to be structured. I just found interesting image explaining everything you wrote here about O visa. it's infographic which shows all requirements to be able to qualify to US Immigration.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	o-1-visa-infographic.jpg Views:	3 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	707868

Last edited by samlynn; 09-16-2019, 07:30 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X