Citizenship for child born abroad when mother is a US Citizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship for child born abroad when mother is a US Citizen

I am a US citizen born abroad. I am married to a foreign national and currently residing outside the USA. I have never been a US resident (but my mother - who is a US citizen - did reside in the US for the first 25 years of her life).
    I am pregnant and considering whether I must travel to the US to give birth for my child to be a US Citizen, or if there is a way of providing him with citizenship if he/she is born abroad. If it is possible to provide him citizenship if born abroad, what would be needed to be done? Is there a way for the child to obtain citizen this way and still be considered a natural-born citizen?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Iff born outside the U.S., the child's birth must be registered at the U.S. Embassy having jurisdiction over the location/country of his birth. That registration will serve as a request for a "Report of Birth Abroad," which will be recognition of his derived U.S. citizenship, and you can then apply for a U.S. passport for the child.

--Ray B

Originally posted by CarlaCastanos View Post
    I am a US citizen born abroad. I am married to a foreign national and currently residing outside the USA. I have never been a US resident (but my mother - who is a US citizen - did reside in the US for the first 25 years of her life).
    I am pregnant and considering whether I must travel to the US to give birth for my child to be a US Citizen, or if there is a way of providing him with citizenship if he/she is born abroad. If it is possible to provide him citizenship if born abroad, what would be needed to be done? Is there a way for the child to obtain citizen this way and still be considered a natural-born citizen?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      Iff born outside the U.S., the child's birth must be registered at the U.S. Embassy having jurisdiction over the location/country of his birth. That registration will serve as a request for a "Report of Birth Abroad," which will be recognition of his derived U.S. citizenship, and you can then apply for a U.S. passport for the child.

--Ray B
      Thanks, Ray. Will this be the case even if I don't fulfill the residency requirements? As I understand, besides at least one parent being a US citizen, there is a requirement for the parent to have lived in the US for at least 5 years, of which 2 years have to be after the age of 14. I have never lived in the US.

Comment

Sorry, I missed that in your earlier message. The child can't receive recognition of derivative citizenship until he is in the U.S. You'll have t get him a passport for the country in which he is born, and petition him to the U.S. as an immigrant.

My advice is to come to the U.S. while pregnant and have the child in the U.S. which would make for less immigration-related hassle after his birth.

--Ray B

Originally posted by CarlaCastanos View Post
        Thanks, Ray. Will this be the case even if I don't fulfill the residency requirements? As I understand, besides at least one parent being a US citizen, there is a requirement for the parent to have lived in the US for at least 5 years, of which 2 years have to be after the age of 14. I have never lived in the US.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X