Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic violence

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right category for my question, please move/remove if it should be somewhere else.

I've been married for almost two years and have seen my quality of life go downhill a lot in that time. My wife tears me down all the time, uses me for everything while not adding anything (household, work, finances etc), controls my every step, keeps me away from people, always finds reasons to be mad at me, while holding terrible double standards, and holds me back in any way possible.
    I don't have support here, all my family is abroad and I don't know what to do or where to go.

I've tried leaving several times but somehow never manage to. We always have these long talks and I allow myself to get dragged in again. I'm in the process of obtaining a greencard through marriage and am wondering if my situation would be seen as serious enough mental abuse/domestic violence for me to have the conditions removed and to obtain my green card under the VAWA?

And if so, what does USCIS want to see as proof of the domestic violence? I'm under therapy for depression and anxiety and have a picture of an injury I sustained when she physically attacked me.

Any help/suggestion is appreciated!

Originally posted by Taylor12345 View Post
    Hello,

Not sure if this is the right category for my question, please move/remove if it should be somewhere else.

I've been married for almost two years and have seen my quality of life go downhill a lot in that time. My wife tears me down all the time, uses me for everything while not adding anything (household, work, finances etc), controls my every step, keeps me away from people, always finds reasons to be mad at me, while holding terrible double standards, and holds me back in any way possible.
    I don't have support here, all my family is abroad and I don't know what to do or where to go.

I've tried leaving several times but somehow never manage to. We always have these long talks and I allow myself to get dragged in again. I'm in the process of obtaining a greencard through marriage and am wondering if my situation would be seen as serious enough mental abuse/domestic violence for me to have the conditions removed and to obtain my green card under the VAWA?

And if so, what does USCIS want to see as proof of the domestic violence? I'm under therapy for depression and anxiety and have a picture of an injury I sustained when she physically attacked me.

Any help/suggestion is appreciated!
    u should get a police report. lawyers charge $3500-4000 for vawa. u can local non profit organization that deals with immigration they will charge like $450

Comment

Originally posted by iuy87 View Post
      u should get a police report. lawyers charge $3500-4000 for vawa. u can local non profit organization that deals with immigration they will charge like $450
      Thanks for your answer.
      The only problem is that I do not have $3500-4000, I don't even have $450 for a non profit. But even if I had the money, there is no way I can meet with a lawyer without my wife knowing. She micromanages everything I do and constantly looks over my shoulder. No excuse would help me out. Also, I more so asked the question to see if anyone is willing to share some of their story. Give me some insights of what is expected and how this worked for them etc.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X