Where to begin with divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to begin with divorce

I married back in 2006 received my permanent residency with restrictions, however my ex was mentally unstable with drug use. I divorced him, travelled outside of the country for a short period, was robbed and had to work with both the British and American Embassies to get another passport. I came back into the USA with my passport and was told that I was classified as a permanent resident. I have now been married to my new husband for nearly five years he is an American Citizen, however I realized that I had not removed the restrictions from my original case. My question is that after living here for 19 years, and being married will I be able to get my permanent residency reinstated. Any typically how long does that process take?

What is the expiration date of your Green Card?

--Ray B

Originally posted by Londonbroil View Post
    I married back in 2006 received my permanent residency with restrictions, however my ex was mentally unstable with drug use. I divorced him, travelled outside of the country for a short period, was robbed and had to work with both the British and American Embassies to get another passport. I came back into the USA with my passport and was told that I was classified as a permanent resident. I have now been married to my new husband for nearly five years he is an American Citizen, however I realized that I had not removed the restrictions from my original case. My question is that after living here for 19 years, and being married will I be able to get my permanent residency reinstated. Any typically how long does that process take?

Comment

Hi Rayb

I have to be honest, I don't even have a clue how to find out, as all of my pertinent information was stolen all immigration paperwork when I was robbed. I believe I got my green card with restrictions in or around 2006,

Comment

If you were originally issued a two-year Conditional Green Card, and did not apply to renew conditions, then you no longer have Green Card status.

If you did receive a 10-year Green Card, you must apply for a replacement or a 10-year renewal card using form I-90.

To find out your exact status, expiration date, etc., schedule an in-person interview using the INFOPASS online application at:

--Ray B

Hi Rayb

I have to be honest, I don't even have a clue how to find out, as all of my pertinent information was stolen all immigration paperwork when I was robbed. I believe I got my green card with restrictions in or around 2006,

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          If you were originally issued a two-year Conditional Green Card, and did not apply to renew conditions, then you no longer have Green Card status.

If you did receive a 10-year Green Card, you must apply for a replacement or a 10-year renewal card using form I-90.

To find out your exact status, expiration date, etc., schedule an in-person interview using the INFOPASS online application at:

--Ray B
          Thank you so much for the help it is very much appreciated. I did in fact contact the attorney that did this for me originally all those years ago. I feel although it is going to cost thousands of dollars it may be the best way to move forward as he does have copies of all the original documents. He mentioned that I could potentially be "grandfathered" into the system. He also stated it could take about 12 months!!!! Ray B can you give me your thoughts on these two issues. Thanks again

Comment

It could cost "thousands of dollars" if the attorney is not straight with you. My suggestion, however, was that you start with an INFOPASS appointment to determine your status, then apply for a replacement Green Card, using form I-90, UNLESS YOUR STATUS HAS BEEN CONSIDERED ABANDONED. If you are found to have last been issued a 10-year card, it could be as simple as using form I-90 with $450 fee to have it replaced, with an explanation for why you are late in requesting a new Green Card and that your last card was lost.

If you were on two-year "conditional" status, the "fix" scenario can become more complicated.

If would help if the attorney could provide you (as a courtesy to a former client) with the Alien registration number ("A" number) last assigned to you.

--Ray B

Thank you so much for the help it is very much appreciated. I did in fact contact the attorney that did this for me originally all those years ago. I feel although it is going to cost thousands of dollars it may be the best way to move forward as he does have copies of all the original documents. He mentioned that I could potentially be "grandfathered" into the system. He also stated it could take about 12 months!!!! Ray B can you give me your thoughts on these two issues. Thanks again

Comment

It could cost "thousands of dollars" if the attorney is not straight with you. My suggestion, however, was that you start with an INFOPASS appointment to determine your status, then apply for a replacement Green Card, using form I-90, UNLESS YOUR STATUS HAS BEEN CONSIDERED ABANDONED. If you are found to have last been issued a 10-year card, it could be as simple as using form I-90 with $450 fee to have it replaced, with an explanation for why you are late in requesting a new Green Card and that your last card was lost.

If you were on two-year "conditional" status, the "fix" scenario can become more complicated.

If would help if the attorney could provide you (as a courtesy to a former client) with the Alien registration number ("A" number) last assigned to you.

--Ray B
              Thanks again, you are a wealth of knowledge and help :-) During our conversations I have established what my Alien number is. Is there a way I can use that to search somewhere to establish my status?

Comment

Get an INFOPASS live appointment using the link I posted earlier. The officer with whom you will be meeting can use your "A" number to track last status of your Permanent Residency. If it is not considered "abandoned" and/or was not "conditional status," you should be able to obtain a replacement or updated Green Card using form I-90 and the fee of $450.

--Ray B

Thanks again, you are a wealth of knowledge and help :-) During our conversations I have established what my Alien number is. Is there a way I can use that to search somewhere to establish my status?

Comment

Get an INFOPASS live appointment using the link I posted earlier. The officer with whom you will be meeting can use your "A" number to track last status of your Permanent Residency. If it is not considered "abandoned" and/or was not "conditional status," you should be able to obtain a replacement or updated Green Card using form I-90 and the fee of $450.

--Ray B
                  I appreciate it! I am just worried that if its abandoned they will just come and get me and deport me :-( I have two children here too, they are grown now but were both born here.

Comment

That's not how USCIS or ICE works these days. Do your status check with an INFOPASS appointment, then follow up with a Green Card replacement request, unless you were last in "Conditional Status," with a two-year Green card. If the latter is the case, then your plan must change, possibly being re-petitioned by your present husband. If it comes to that, then you may have to enlist assistance of an attorney for a waiver from the overstay penalty.

--Ray B

I appreciate it! I am just worried that if its abandoned they will just come and get me and deport me :-( I have two children here too, they are grown now but were both born here.

Comment

That's not how USCIS or ICE works these days. Do your status check with an INFOPASS appointment, then follow up with a Green Card replacement request, unless you were last in "Conditional Status," with a two-year Green card. If the latter is the case, then your plan must change, possibly being re-petitioned by your present husband. If it comes to that, then you may have to enlist assistance of an attorney for a waiver from the overstay penalty.

--Ray B
                      I think that is what the attorney is talking about doing, having my husband petitioning which of course is not a problem, that being said the attorney is looking for in excess of 10k up front and really wont explain much to me. Hence the reason I reached out on this forum.

Comment

$10,000 is way too much to ask (for a starter) for this type of problem.

First you have to identify your status, which costs nothing, then proceed with fixing or starting over, neither of which will entail fees of more than about $500 each step (except for a conversion with I-130 and I-485 at same time). The worst-case scenario is if USCIS insists that you return to your home country to be processed for a waiver before a visa can be issued. My guess, however, is that the "not so bad" option would be to have an immigrant petition and Adjustment of Status done without leaving the U.S., which will run you about $1,800 in fees (including a new immigrant medical exam).

But these scenarios may not occur if you find that you already had the 10-year status, in which case, you may be able to simply pay for and receive a new card, after explaining why you didn't renew after the 10-year card expired.

--Ray B

I think that is what the attorney is talking about doing, having my husband petitioning which of course is not a problem, that being said the attorney is looking for in excess of 10k up front and really wont explain much to me. Hence the reason I reached out on this forum.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X