K1 Visa: Better to do yourself or...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K1 Visa: Better to do yourself or...?

The fees are already ridiculous. Then adding the future plane ticket. My fiance is from the UK and I'm in the US. I've been doing so much research before I start this. Wanted opinions or experiences filing alone or through websites or lawyers. What is the most effective but also affordable outcomes and experiences with any of those options?

Also, what evidence or documents should I get done and my fiance get done before I start the application? And when should she start wrapping up police certificates, etc?

Any opinions or help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Re:

Jacki, I have sent you a private message. Please check.
    Thanks

Comment

Jacki,

Do it yourself, but have an experienced person check your work before you submit. You only need to complete two forms (G-325A and I-129F) and also sign a standard "Statement of Intent" form. You need to include proof of your U.S. status and proof of meeting in person, include a passport-style photo and $340.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Jacki Michelle View Post
      The fees are already ridiculous. Then adding the future plane ticket. My fiance is from the UK and I'm in the US. I've been doing so much research before I start this. Wanted opinions or experiences filing alone or through websites or lawyers. What is the most effective but also affordable outcomes and experiences with any of those options?

Also, what evidence or documents should I get done and my fiance get done before I start the application? And when should she start wrapping up police certificates, etc?

Any opinions or help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Comment

Fee increase may take effect fall

I hate to be the bearer of possible bad news but come this fall 2017, the I-129F fee may increase to $535.00 so file now before fee increase. It is costly for any immigration to come here to US - flights, fees, etc. But in the end, you'll be with your soon-to-be spouse so it's all worth it! Also, it's common to provide proof of upcoming wedding (i.e. wedding invitation, contract with venue/caterer/dj etc along with all documents mentioned below. It can take time to get police certificates - each country/local police force is different so contact them now to start the process. Follow the I-129F instructions to a "T", and provide any and all documentation relevant to your case. For instance, if either one of you was married before, provide copy of divorce final judgment or decree as well. Print, scan and copy entire packet (forms and all supporting proof) for your own records BEFORE you mail to USCIS.

Good luck!
        Last edited by samlynn; 09-25-2016, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Thank you all so much for responding! And I might possibly be moving during this process. What do I do about that..

And also, when do I do the affidavit? Can I go ahead and do It when I start the application? Or because the new year is coming and new tax returns, what do I do?

Comment

The sponsorship package (I-134 and supporting documents) won't be needed until the applicant goes to the Embassy interview.

--Ray B

Thank you all so much for responding! And I might possibly be moving during this process. What do I do about that..

And also, when do I do the affidavit? Can I go ahead and do It when I start the application? Or because the new year is coming and new tax returns, what do I do?

Comment

Well if it's not required until then, can I still do it now? Or is there an expiration to it?

I'm a couple thousand off of the income requirement, but I have a CD that covers it. But I'm the primary on the account and my mom is a secondary. Would she have to be involved in any way with that part?

Comment

Just don't date your I-134, Affidavit of Support, until you send to your fiancee. Also, if this rolls over into 2017, you might have to use your 2016 Federal income tax return.

--Ray B

Well if it's not required until then, can I still do it now? Or is there an expiration to it?

I'm a couple thousand off of the income requirement, but I have a CD that covers it. But I'm the primary on the account and my mom is a secondary. Would she have to be involved in any way with that part?

Comment

Originally posted by maguila View Post
                  I hate to be the bearer of possible bad news but come this fall 2017, the I-129F fee may increase to $535.00 so file now before fee increase. It is costly for any immigration to come here to US - flights, fees, etc. But in the end, you'll be with your soon-to-be spouse so it's all worth it! Also, it's common to provide proof of upcoming wedding (i.e. wedding invitation, contract with venue/caterer/dj etc along with all documents mentioned below. It can take time to get police certificates - each country/local police force is different so contact them now to start the process. Follow the I-129F instructions to a "T", and provide any and all documentation relevant to your case. For instance, if either one of you was married before, provide copy of divorce final judgment or decree as well. Print, scan and copy entire packet (forms and all supporting proof) for your own records BEFORE you mail to USCIS.

Good luck!
                  Hi, this comment caught my eye.

My fiance and I are in a Catch-22 situation whereby we're unable to organize a wedding or send invitations as we don't know when we will get the K1 visa. Would wedding plans help to expedite the case?

Comment

Copies of wedding plans will have little bearing on processing of a fiancee visa package. It's automatically assumed that you plan to marry, anyway.

--Ray B

Originally posted by eevee View Post
                    Hi, this comment caught my eye.

My fiance and I are in a Catch-22 situation whereby we're unable to organize a wedding or send invitations as we don't know when we will get the K1 visa. Would wedding plans help to expedite the case?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
                      Copies of wedding plans will have little bearing on processing of a fiancee visa package. It's automatically assumed that you plan to marry, anyway.

--Ray B
                      Hi Ray,

Thank you for your advice.

Comment

I am starting the process now. I might need some help, government forms always scare me that I will not type in some correct info in a box. If the process takes a long time, what happens if we get married during the process??

Comment

I think its best to use a service to check and send out everything. I wont mention any services but using one really helped me. They checked that I did everything right- All signatures were there, checked that nothing was missing, all forms that need to be attached are there and complete, that I have the required supporting evidence etc.

I didnt get an RFE and my I129F was approved in 42 days.

I dont recommend doing it alone.

But thats my opinion only.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X