F1 student on OPT unpaid NGO intern 100% remote work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 student on OPT unpaid NGO intern 100% remote work

I am an F-1 visa student. Students on the F-1 visa get Option Practical Training (OPT) which lets them work for a job related to their studies for any employer in the United States for a minimum of 20 hours/week for 12 months.

During the OPT, F-1 students can work as volunteer/unpaid intern where there is no violation of labor laws.

I am looking to work for a NGO - www.telecom4good.org as a volunteer web developer for a few weeks. The work will be 100% remote - I can work completely from home.

I am trying to understand if USCIS has any guidelines regarding remote employment.

There is no mention about that in their documentation - Student and Exchange Visitor Program and Designated School Officials of SEVP-Certified Schools with F-1 Students Eligible for or Pursuing Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (Pg 17: Employment allowed while on OPT).

Also, I am trying to ascertain if the above-mentioned non-profit is a registered NGO. I am looking to know if there are any resources for establishing a NGO's registration entity.

Thank you

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X