OCI renewal for minor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI renewal for minor

My kids have OCI card, Lifelong visa (in their old US passport) and a new US passport. I have read in this forum that, though the info one can find in the official sites say the opposite, they would be able to travel to India without requesting a new OCI card.
    Could anybody in this same situation, who traveled to India recently, confirm this?
    Thanks

Originally posted by frabat View Post
    My kids have OCI card, Lifelong visa (in their old US passport) and a new US passport. I have read in this forum that, though the info one can find in the official sites say the opposite, they would be able to travel to India without requesting a new OCI card.
    Could anybody in this same situation, who traveled to India recently, confirm this?
    Thanks
    Based on GOI official notification, minors are required to get the OCI re-issued when the passport is renewed. However many people have travelled(claimed in this forum) with the old passport having U stamp and OCI book with no issues. That doesn't mean it would work for everyone. It is totally up to you whether to go through the insane OCI renewal process or take a chance at the port of entry immigration.

Comment

My Daughter had travelled few times in past 3 years with her new passport and OCI card , so far nil issues.
      As long as you carry old passport with U sticker it should be fine , at least in my case.

Comment

My daughter traveled with us to India with the old PP with U visa, the OCI card, and the new PP. At the Port of Entry, the guy just looked at all the docs and didn't even say a word.

Another member of our family also did the same - was over 50, but didn't get the OCI renewed. Showed the PP with the U visa and the OCI card. No questions asked.

So, we took a chance with non-renewed OCI for 2 members of our family and got away with it. We were prepared to explain in case of questions, but also were confident since we had read on the forums that a lot of kids and adults got away without renewing. We couldn't get the renewals done due to lack of time before travel, but looking at how unnecessarily complicated the process is for renewal, we probably did the right thing. In the worst case, be prepared to explain that this was supposed to be a lifelong visa, and rules were revised after issue, but honestly I don't think they will hold anyone at the airport for this.
        Application Center: CKGS NY
        OCI
        Feb 3, 2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
        Feb 6 -'Under Process' at CKGS
        Feb 7 -In-Transit & Under Process at Consulate
        Feb 8 -Govt of India: Date Of Acknowledgment
        -Documents Printing Status: UNDER-PROCESS

RENUNCIATION
        Feb 3,2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
        Feb 8 -'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS

Comment

Originally posted by frabat View Post
          Thanks
          read my reference. same question and my answer

Comment

My very recent personal experience will help.

Originally posted by jenim View Post
            My daughter traveled with us to India with the old PP with U visa, the OCI card, and the new PP. At the Port of Entry, the guy just looked at all the docs and didn't even say a word.

Another member of our family also did the same - was over 50, but didn't get the OCI renewed. Showed the PP with the U visa and the OCI card. No questions asked.

So, we took a chance with non-renewed OCI for 2 members of our family and got away with it. We were prepared to explain in case of questions, but also were confident since we had read on the forums that a lot of kids and adults got away without renewing. We couldn't get the renewals done due to lack of time before travel, but looking at how unnecessarily complicated the process is for renewal, we probably did the right thing. In the worst case, be prepared to explain that this was supposed to be a lifelong visa, and rules were revised after issue, but honestly I don't think they will hold anyone at the airport for this.
            On December 24, 2016 my wife and I, along with our two children (both children have their renewed US passports, and old (original) OCI cards that we never got reissued/renewed), landed at the Ahmedabad international airport. My OCI card was issued when I was 42 years old, and I have renewed my US passport since then (after turning 50 years old) but I too have not bothered to have my original OCI card reissued. Despite all that, to my pleasant surprise, we had absolutely no trouble passing through the immigration process despite defying the OCI reissue rule outright! So much so, that the immigration officers did not even ask for my or our children's old passports that have the U Visa stickers on them - let alone any question on why we did not get my or the children's OCI cards reissued after when our US passports were renewed! All we had to present was our current passports and original OCI cards!

What does this tell me! This tells me that the OCI reissue requirement posted on the Indian consulate websites and CKGS website is absolutely bogus and meaningless when it comes to its execution at the immigration check points at the international airports in India. I think that nobody at the immigration check points even know about it or care about it.

However, before they start imposing this requirement at the immigration check points at Indian international airports, they should better have made the OCI reissue process absolutely simple, reliable and quick.
            Last edited by ProNRI; 01-23-2017, 08:11 PM. Reason: completeness

Comment

Originally posted by ProNRI View Post
              -----
              However, before they start imposing this requirement at the immigration check points at Indian international airports, they should better have made the OCI reissue process absolutely simple, reliable and quick.
              Agree 100% and thanks for sharing your experience!
              Application Center: CKGS NY
              OCI
              Feb 3, 2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
              Feb 8 -Govt of India: Date Of Acknowledgment
              -Documents Printing Status: UNDER-PROCESS

RENUNCIATION
              Feb 3,2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
              Feb 8 -'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS

Comment

Can anyone let me know the process of renewing OCI card for minor while in India? Minor's US passport has been renewed and I am looking for the steps/process to renew minor OCI while in India. Please help.
                Also, what is this U Visa? do we really need that if minor is staying in India for long along with OCI.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by ProNRI View Post
                  My very recent personal experience will help.

On December 24, 2016 my wife and I, along with our two children (both children have their renewed US passports, and old (original) OCI cards that we never got reissued/renewed), landed at the Ahmedabad international airport. My OCI card was issued when I was 42 years old, and I have renewed my US passport since then (after turning 50 years old) but I too have not bothered to have my original OCI card reissued. Despite all that, to my pleasant surprise, we had absolutely no trouble passing through the immigration process despite defying the OCI reissue rule outright! So much so, that the immigration officers did not even ask for my or our children's old passports that have the U Visa stickers on them - let alone any question on why we did not get my or the children's OCI cards reissued after when our US passports were renewed! All we had to present was our current passports and original OCI cards!

What does this tell me! This tells me that the OCI reissue requirement posted on the Indian consulate websites and CKGS website is absolutely bogus and meaningless when it comes to its execution at the immigration check points at the international airports in India. I think that nobody at the immigration check points even know about it or care about it.

It all depends on the officer you have at the immigration. He/she can be easy on you or get picky with minor details. I was once told my passport had problems (didn't explain what, a long wait for nothing) and suggested to renew. The same passport worked fine before and after and in other countries!

You may also get picked up by the gate agent who doesn't know the rules. I know friends who had to travel back home (3 hours drive) to get the old passport and fly the next day. So, be prepared and wish everyone luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X