Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a K1 visa holder travel to the home country and back to the US after marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The info you provided was not proof that an SSN is a requirement, only that they wanted to see a number for record purposes. You would be better off calling the local marriage license office where you expect to get your marriage license and ask if SSN is a legal requirement for one of the participants.

--Ray B

Originally posted by eevee View Post
    Thanks, Ray. I guess we'll need a SSN to get married in VA. The site asked for our SSNs.

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/marria...irements.shtml

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      The info you provided was not proof that an SSN is a requirement, only that they wanted to see a number for record purposes. You would be better off calling the local marriage license office where you expect to get your marriage license and ask if SSN is a legal requirement for one of the participants.

--Ray B
      Hi Ray, Thanks for your suggestion to call. I called the circuit court and they said that it was not a requirement.

Comment

Filing for Adjustment of Status - Need help with Current Immigration Status question

Hi, I need some help with completing the Adjustment of Status documents.

I'm stumped by this question in the I-485 AOS & I-765 EAD forms:

"What is your current immigration status (if it has changed since your arrival)?

I'm not sure what to reply. I entered as a K1 Fiancee but since I got married a few weeks ago, I'm technically no longer a fiancee although I think my immigration status remains the same.

Comment

"K1 pending Adjustment"

--Ray B

"What is your current immigration status (if it has changed since your arrival)?

I'm not sure what to reply. I entered as a K1 Fiancee but since I got married a few weeks ago, I'm technically no longer a fiancee although I think my immigration status remains the same.

Comment

Just put "K-1" (unless it's been more than 90 days since entry, in which case you can put "K-1 (out of status)").

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you

"K1 pending Adjustment"

--Ray B
              Thanks, Ray and @newacct. That really helps.

Comment

I-693 Medical Examination

Hi, I'm back with another question. My entire K1 visa package was taken by immigration when I entered the country. My medical report (done in Jan 2017) was in that package so I don't have a medical report to attach to my I-693 application.

As I'm submitting my i-485 within a year of my medical, can I indicate on the form that my medical report was kept by TSA when I was admitted to the country in Jun 2017?

Comment

Advance Parole

Normally, the Advance Parole and Work Authorization show up about 3 months after submitting the Adjustment of Status package.

The Adjustment interview and subsequent Green Card arrival follow about 3 months later, usually about 6 months from submittal of the Adjustment of Status package.

--Ray B
                  Hi Ray,

Is it ok to leave most of Part 3 of the form blank as I don't have a need to travel back at the moment but wanted to apply for Advance Parole in case an emergency pops up in my home country? I

Under Part 2. Application Type, I selected 1.d. - that I'm applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return to the US after foreign travel.

Under Page 2, Part 3 Processing Information, I selected "No" in response to 4.a. "have you ever before been issued a reentry permit or Refugee Travel Document?"

There was a footer in bold after question 4 on Page 2 stating "If you are applying for a non-DACA related Advance Parole Document, skip to Part 7; DACA recipients must complete Part 4 before skipping to Part 7."
                  - I skipped questions 5 - 10 from Part 3 as they came after the above statement and the questions didn't seem to be applicable to me. My husband thinks that i need to fill it up though.

For Page 4, Part 7: I'm unable to provide a reason explaining how I qualify for Advance Parole as I don't have any situations that require me to travel back to my country - at least not yet.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Comment

Is it ok to leave most of Part 3 of the form blank as I don't have a need to travel back at the moment but wanted to apply for Advance Parole in case an emergency pops up in my home country?
                    For items 1 and 2 (date of departure and length of trip), you can put something like Unknown or TBD.

Under Part 2. Application Type, I selected 1.d. - that I'm applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return to the US after foreign travel.
                    yes

Under Page 2, Part 3 Processing Information, I selected "No" in response to 4.a. "have you ever before been issued a reentry permit or Refugee Travel Document?"
                    yes

There was a footer in bold after question 4 on Page 2 stating "If you are applying for a non-DACA related Advance Parole Document, skip to Part 7; DACA recipients must complete Part 4 before skipping to Part 7."
                    - I skipped questions 5 - 10 from Part 3 as they came after the above statement and the questions didn't seem to be applicable to me. My husband thinks that i need to fill it up though.
                    they should be skipped

For Page 4, Part 7: I'm unable to provide a reason explaining how I qualify for Advance Parole as I don't have any situations that require me to travel back to my country - at least not yet.
                    As an AOS applicant you are not expected to provide a reason. It says see instructions and in the instructions it says to attach an explanation OR provide a receipt for AOS (and if you are submitting the I-131 together with I-485, you don't even need to provide a receipt).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by newacct View Post
                      For items 1 and 2 (date of departure and length of trip), you can put something like Unknown or TBD.

yes

yes

they should be skipped

As an AOS applicant you are not expected to provide a reason. It says see instructions and in the instructions it says to attach an explanation OR provide a receipt for AOS (and if you are submitting the I-131 together with I-485, you don't even need to provide a receipt).
                      Thanks, @newacct, for your help!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X