X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Resident's Stay in the Country for retaining the status

Dear Forum Friends,

I would be grateful and appreciate if I can get some guidance on my issue:

I am facing a specific issue on the counting of our stay in US as a Green card holder. I wish to inform you that we received our Green cards on 23rd March 2016 to our US address when we were away from US. My friend who was visiting India had delivered the Cards to us in India and we entered US on 15 July, 2016. I think ( if I am correct), this date of 15 July 2016 will be the date that would be considered as our commencement of stay in US as US resident. Am I correct?

I have some specific issues as under; I would be grateful if you could kindly enlighten me with your advice:

(i) what is the US Immigration law says on the counting of stay in US of a Green card holder, i.e. whether US Resident's stay is counted by Calendar year, i.e from 1 Jan- 31 Dec OR from the date of our entry into the country, i.e. From 15 July 2016 to 14 July 2017?

(ii) Secondly, due to some unavoidable reasons, we need to be away from US on a short trip, from 25 Dec, 2016 for 3 to 4 months and return to US towards end of March 2017.

My doubts are :

Firstly (i) Can we be away from US just after spending only 5 months in this calendar year of 2016 ( if they consider Calendar year), as some of my friends say, being a US Resident, we need to spend a minimum of 6 to 6 1/2 months in US in a Calendar year . Is it true? I do not know what the US law says; and

secondly (ii) how long we can be away from US, to retain our residency status so that we will not be questioned at the port of entry when we re-enter? Can we be away from the Country for 3 to 4 months?

We are in dilemma whether we can be away from the Country to make this short urgent trip from 25th Dec, 2016, since we will be completing just above 5 months in US as a US resident.

I would appreciate, if you could kindly enlighten us with your valuable advice

Thank you in advance for your cooperation

DR Rao

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X