Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Urgent Help Before Applying for DV 2018

Hello Everyone,

I've been asking few other questions in previous posts and can't seem to get my questions answered or any help to understand what I maybe missing.. your help with my following inquiries is greatly appreciated.

1- My family and I are applying for DV program, but me and my sister are older than 21 years old. Is it reasonable for each of us (father, mother, sister and me) apply each one separately and expect that we may win each of us? Or what could be a better approach? (all of us are in our home country not US)

2- Another question what if we/some of us didn't win in the DV program, can we later apply for visitor visa any other year? or does applying for DV program we will be denied of visitor visa at any other time? Also if applied for immigration visa atfer winning in the DV program and didn't get it, would that be also something that would prevent getting visitor visa later ay any time?

3- One more question if we/some of us win in the DV program, can I, at any time before applying for immigrant visa, give up the lottery I won? If so, is there any legal procedures I should take to give it up voluntarily or just don't go on with the next steps?

Thank you in advance.

I'll try to answer this based on what i know/read so far (i am a DV 2015 winner [applied in 2014, got selected in 2016], gone through the process in 2016, got my I 551 visa sticker and went to the USA in Nov 2016 as the final step).

1. I believe once the child are above 21 (and or married), the child is no longer considered as dependent of the parents. Hence if the parent got selected for the lottery, the children cant be the dependent in the application.
    This is taken from the DV 2016 instruction
    "Married children and children over the age of 21 are not eligible for the DV. However, the Child
    Status Protection Act protects children from “aging out” in certain circumstances. If your DV
    entry is made before your unmarried child turns 21, and the child turns 21 before visa issuance,
    he/she may be treated as though he/she were under 21 for visa-processing purposes"

Do note that since it is a lottery, the odds of winning will be reduced if there a lot more applicants from the same country.

2. DV lottery (outcome or application) wont affect your application as visitor to the US

3. If you win and you do not want to go through, you can just not do anything. That is it really.

Originally posted by Agapanthus View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I've been asking few other questions in previous posts and can't seem to get my questions answered or any help to understand what I maybe missing.. your help with my following inquiries is greatly appreciated.

1- My family and I are applying for DV program, but me and my sister are older than 21 years old. Is it reasonable for each of us (father, mother, sister and me) apply each one separately and expect that we may win each of us? Or what could be a better approach? (all of us are in our home country not US)

2- Another question what if we/some of us didn't win in the DV program, can we later apply for visitor visa any other year? or does applying for DV program we will be denied of visitor visa at any other time? Also if applied for immigration visa atfer winning in the DV program and didn't get it, would that be also something that would prevent getting visitor visa later ay any time?

3- One more question if we/some of us win in the DV program, can I, at any time before applying for immigrant visa, give up the lottery I won? If so, is there any legal procedures I should take to give it up voluntarily or just don't go on with the next steps?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X