Driver's License for Immigrant MIL with Limited English Proficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's License for Immigrant MIL with Limited English Proficiency

My MIL recently came to live with us from Mexico. My wife sponsored her and she is waiting for her permanent resident card. We live in AL, a state that makes it very difficult for immigrants to get a driver's license. Although they let her take the written test in Spanish, which she passed, they require her to take the road test and they will not allow the use of a translator. For that reason, she has already failed the road test once and, although she is studying English very diligently, I don't know if she will be able to pass it anytime in the near future.

Does anybody know of states that make accomodations for immigrants with limited English proficiency, or ideally, states that have bilingual examiners? My MIL is 71 and has driven for 50+ years, so I think even the requirement that she take the road test is kind of ridiculous. Any states that accept driver's licenses from Mexico in lieu of the road test requirement?

Thanks so much! Great forum!

Originally posted by Dan-0 View Post
    My MIL recently came to live with us from Mexico. My wife sponsored her and she is waiting for her permanent resident card. We live in AL, a state that makes it very difficult for immigrants to get a driver's license. Although they let her take the written test in Spanish, which she passed, they require her to take the road test and they will not allow the use of a translator. For that reason, she has already failed the road test once and, although she is studying English very diligently, I don't know if she will be able to pass it anytime in the near future.

Does anybody know of states that make accomodations for immigrants with limited English proficiency, or ideally, states that have bilingual examiners? My MIL is 71 and has driven for 50+ years, so I think even the requirement that she take the road test is kind of ridiculous. Any states that accept driver's licenses from Mexico in lieu of the road test requirement?

Thanks so much! Great forum!
    What other states would do or if they have provisions will not make a difference. It will be an Alabama license and she resides in Alabama. She will just have to re-take the test once she is able to understand the instructor.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X