Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting status while on VWP - Same sex couple

Hey Everyone,

After dating my Girlfriend for almost two years, I had finally saved up enough money to take a trip over to America to see her. As I am an Australian resident, I was eligible for a visa waiver. We had planned on taking the K-1 route and had come to the mutual agreement that we wanted to be with each other in person to discuss how we would go about it. After being in the US for about two weeks, we had briefly discussed the potential of getting married. Another week had passed and my girlfriend (now wife) surprised me on our 2nd anniversary with a proposal, to which I said yes.

My wife is 16, nearly 17 years old. I am 18. With her mothers permission we were married at a courthouse in Missouri. After having a discussion with her mother, we have been thinking about submitting an i-485 and i-130 concurrently, would this enable me to stay with my wife legally while the application is being processed? And do you think we would have any issues with USCIS regarding our case?

As far as our financial situation goes, My wife has a part time job, and my mother in law has said that she would be willing to be a financial support for the two of us until we are able to support ourselves.

I would appreciate some suggestions on what to do, as I don't want to encounter any issues.

Thank you!

Your wife must be 18 years old before she can sign the required Affidavit of Support to sponsor you. Wait until she turns 18 before submitting any paperwork (I-130 and I-485).

--Ray B

Originally posted by LeiaReynolds View Post
    Hey Everyone,

After dating my Girlfriend for almost two years, I had finally saved up enough money to take a trip over to America to see her. As I am an Australian resident, I was eligible for a visa waiver. We had planned on taking the K-1 route and had come to the mutual agreement that we wanted to be with each other in person to discuss how we would go about it. After being in the US for about two weeks, we had briefly discussed the potential of getting married. Another week had passed and my girlfriend (now wife) surprised me on our 2nd anniversary with a proposal, to which I said yes.

My wife is 16, nearly 17 years old. I am 18. With her mothers permission we were married at a courthouse in Missouri. After having a discussion with her mother, we have been thinking about submitting an i-485 and i-130 concurrently, would this enable me to stay with my wife legally while the application is being processed? And do you think we would have any issues with USCIS regarding our case?

As far as our financial situation goes, My wife has a part time job, and my mother in law has said that she would be willing to be a financial support for the two of us until we are able to support ourselves.

I would appreciate some suggestions on what to do, as I don't want to encounter any issues.

Thank you!

Comment

Sorry, I don't have any information, just trying to find out things myself.

How did it go? What did you do?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X