J-1 Waiver as a former High School Exchange Program Student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-1 Waiver as a former High School Exchange Program Student

Back in 2008-2009 I was part of a foreign student exchange program in an American High School (FLEX - https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/p...aders-exchange) - it was funded by the US Department of State (~$15,000).

Since then, I returned back for about 15 months, and then returned back to study at University of Wisconsin on F-1. After the completion of my studies, I got a full-time offer at ********, and accepted it - the immigration lawyers here applied for PERM and all related green card paperwork.

Because I was subject to 2HRR, I applied for a waiver based on No Objection, and my embassy has already provided that - I submitted everything to DOS and am now waiting for the results.

Anyone here obtained a waiver under similar circumstances? What is the likelyhood of me getting it?

I hear that there might be complications because it received US funding.

Thank you all for your help!

To my knowledge the chances of getting a waiver based on No Objection is almost zero if a program was funded by the U.S. government. A hardship waiver would have a better chance of success in your case. What is your immigration lawyer telling you?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamini View Post
      To my knowledge the chances of getting a waiver based on No Objection is almost zero if a program was funded by the U.S. government. A hardship waiver would have a better chance of success in your case. What is your immigration lawyer telling you?
      Thanks for the response! I am keeping my fingers crossed because it was secondary education (high school) and there are no skill restrictions for my country. I applied for this without an immigration lawyer involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurosawa View Post
        Back in 2008-2009 I was part of a foreign student exchange program in an American High School (FLEX - https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/p...aders-exchange) - it was funded by the US Department of State (~$15,000).

Since then, I returned back for about 15 months, and then returned back to study at University of Wisconsin on F-1. After the completion of my studies, I got a full-time offer at ********, and accepted it - the immigration lawyers here applied for PERM and all related green card paperwork.

Because I was subject to 2HRR, I applied for a waiver based on No Objection, and my embassy has already provided that - I submitted everything to DOS and am now waiting for the results.

Anyone here obtained a waiver under similar circumstances? What is the likelyhood of me getting it?

I hear that there might be complications because it received US funding.

Thank you all for your help!
        Did you get any news? I'm in a similar situation and I'd like to know what my chances are. The worst thing is that I just found out when they were doing my H1-B about this J-1 I have for a couple of years a long long time ago. Please update.
        Thank you!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X