Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apply for Canadian citizenship while a Green Card application is processing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apply for Canadian citizenship while a Green Card application is processing?

I'm Canadian and commute everyday to the US from Canada on a H1-B. My wife has her Canadian PR and works in Canada. My employer in the US will start the EB-2 green card application. I've heard from my company's law firm to expect 1.5-3 years to receive the green card. My wife has 1.5 years until she is eligible to apply for CDN citizenship and then roughly another 6-8 months to receive her citizenship. Both the EB2 and CDN citizenship process will roughly take the same amount of time from start to finish given the current situation. Should I include my wife as part of the EB2 application? I've heard that CIC with their new clauses in the immigration act are starting to look for intent to reside in Canada during the citizenship application. Is it possible the for the CIC to find out that my wife is also applying for US green card while applying for CDN citizenship and deny her citizenship? If that's the case I rather leave her off and have her receive CDN citizenship without any doubt or inquires from CIC. Once I receive the green card and she receives her CDN citizenship, I would sponsor her as a US permanent resident myself to receive her US PR.

Ultimately we both want to live in the US as Canadian citizens with a US green card. Just trying to figure out the best course of action.

I appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thank you.

Citizenship Act 2014

Originally posted by sonicmoj View Post
    I'm Canadian and commute everyday to the US from Canada on a H1-B. My wife has her Canadian PR and works in Canada. My employer in the US will start the EB-2 green card application. I've heard from my company's law firm to expect 1.5-3 years to receive the green card. My wife has 1.5 years until she is eligible to apply for CDN citizenship and then roughly another 6-8 months to receive her citizenship. Both the EB2 and CDN citizenship process will roughly take the same amount of time from start to finish given the current situation. Should I include my wife as part of the EB2 application? I've heard that CIC with their new clauses in the immigration act are starting to look for intent to reside in Canada during the citizenship application. Is it possible the for the CIC to find out that my wife is also applying for US green card while applying for CDN citizenship and deny her citizenship? If that's the case I rather leave her off and have her receive CDN citizenship without any doubt or inquires from CIC. Once I receive the green card and she receives her CDN citizenship, I would sponsor her as a US permanent resident myself to receive her US PR.

Ultimately we both want to live in the US as Canadian citizens with a US green card. Just trying to figure out the best course of action.

I appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thank you.
    Since the Citizenship Act of 2014 Canada has strengthened the residintial clause and ask that the petitioner for citizenship intend to reside in Canada. In addition the petioner must continuosly reside 6+years in Canada or 1460 days. Only if she is employed by Her Majesties government or is a member of the Crown would she be exempt. The good news is that dual citizenship is allowed.
    In answer to your question concerning if Citizenship Canada finds out about her trying to get her AOS is a good question, when she is called for biometrics she will have a background check by the FBI here state side so Homeland may call to find out if she has any warrants or issues with RCMP.

Good luck.

Comment

Criteria for apply for canada visa

if you want to apply for canada visa you must have minimum 4 year working experiences, and also you will have Passport...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X